Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a Q for those who use Quark on a regular basis:

1) What Table extension would you suggest? I need something quick and easy to do all different kinds of tables.

2) Are there any other add-ons, suites that you would also suggest (hidden gems)? ie: Preflight, effects, etc.

Thanks to our senior designer abruptly leaving, I'm stuck with the duty of working overtime to get my work and his done before the end of the fiscal year (love that Government spending, yeah baby!). So, I'm hunting for time-saving tools.

P.S. I use Quark 4.1.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Not to sound smug or anything but we use InDesign and we've haven't spent a dime on extensions since it has so much what Quark users consider "extra" built-in.

As for Quark take a look at the stuff that Extensis offers, they have some nice stuff to make Quark useful.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MacGenius:
Not to sound smug or anything but we use InDesign and we've haven't spent a dime on extensions since it has so much what Quark users consider "extra" built-in.

As for Quark take a look at the stuff that Extensis offers, they have some nice stuff to make Quark useful.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know... I'm beginning to think InDesign is beginning to be the way to go...

Not because of the options you discussed... no, no, no, no my friend... but because of the very reason why Quark is the devil itself: Demo XTensions.

I tried a demo XTension of TableMaker by GluOn. Funny thing -- when you install the demo, magically, it modifies your copy of Quark to act in "DEMO MODE" (ie: save disabled, and printed materiel comes out with the demo copy watermark).

WTF?!?

Needless to say, it bit me in the @$$ today. I forgot it was still installed when I went into production of a large report. Quark was auto-saving the document -- however, in doing so the file is now considered "unopenable" all because of the Demo XTension.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seriously... who makes a demo that can potentially RUIN a working file?!? It costed me (fortunately) only 3 hours worth of re-work thanks to a backup I have at home.

Anyway... that's my vein popping rant for the day. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yup, I hear you mannyp. I've started using InDesign again for a couple of smaller projects. If they go off without any hicups, I'll be looking to try a few more moderate sized jobs in it. I've also found the learning curve not too steep (so far), in part thanks to a few of the members on this forum for sharing their experience with the software.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Adobe is really pushing InDesign this year, and with good reason. With Quark having yet again bollocksed -up it leaves a huge opportunity.

Quark is an old dying pig and InDesign has managed to pull ahead of Quark in alot of areas.

I wish I could find the link, but there was a really good article talking about how Quark, back in the early 90's managed to leapfrog over PageMaker and how InDesign has actually "PageMaker'd" Quark...

:cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Strongblade, I think this is the article you're refering to from MacDesign:

null

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hot damn, yeah. Figures, the one site i didn't check back on...

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the messages... and Kev for offering to help out. Everything is as it should be, now.

Methinks I'll be downloading a demo of InDesign very soon and get acquainted with the GUI. I may make a suggestion to the boss in the very near future about jumping over -- all the little bonuses that InDesign has over Quark may be enough for us to ditch QuackXPress even if it means learning new software.

Cheers,

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've got one last demo CD of InDesign 2 here. I think it's a 30 day trial version. You're welcome to it, just email me your address and I'll drop in the mail.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coyote:
I've got one last demo CD of InDesign 2 here. I think it's a 30 day trial version. You're welcome to it, just email me your address and I'll drop in the mail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the offer! :D

I downloaded the demo last night just after I posted -- haven't opened it, yet.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mannyp:
Thanks for the offer! :D

I downloaded the demo last night just after I posted -- haven't opened it, yet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manny, I have the InDesign 2.0 "Classroom in a Book" (produced from the source, Adobe). If you would like to borrow it. I'm still working my way through GoLive, so I won't be reading it anytime soon. Since we are both in Ottawa, it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a meeting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts