Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've loaded quark on my OSX bootable Only G$ Dual 1.2, and I'm running Suitcase for X. Quark appears to be loading the fonts, but it's not previewing them correctly. Do I need to install ATM Light into Classic or something?

—Or does Quark suck so much that I'm lucky enough to be able to run it even half -asstly** in OSX?

Or C. all of the above

**my own made-up word

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Or does Quark suck so much that"

Sounds like you've formed an opinion already..... But to answer you initial Question, Yes Classic still relies on ATM lite to render fonts. Classic is still a variant of 9 and all the old rules apply.

Running Quark in OSX/Classic can be as stable as running in OS 9, I'm told, but few users seem to have the patience to work out the bugs....

Keep in mind, Apple {by order od Steve Jobs} says that OS 9 is dead, so don't expect much help there.

Quark 4.11 was developed long before OSX so any compatibility is a fluke. QX 5 exist now because Quark didb't think OS X would be viable for prepress right away, {something I tend to aggree with} so the saw no need to restart developement on an OS X version.

Quark's official line is to wait for QX 6 this fall {maybe} but but Qx5 now {just cause.... no really, please buy it.}

Adobe's line is to switch everything to Indesign { oh, forgot to warn you, you'll need a PS3 Rip on your imagesetters and proofers, lots more RAM, New MAcs, and replace that old Type 1 Font library with OPEN TYPE right now}....

Answer my friends, is blowing in the wind.... If I had the right answer, I'd be richer than I am...

You are braver than most to even try Quark in Classic....
Most of the industry is waiting for the dust to clear...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
JAMG mentioned:
Adobe's line is to switch everything to Indesign { oh, forgot to warn you, you'll need a PS3 Rip on your imagesetters and proofers, lots more RAM, New MAcs, and replace that old Type 1 Font library with OPEN TYPE right now}....

Ummm... I'm not really sure how accurate some of that stuff is. Adobe inDesign works fine with TT and T1 fonts. RAM requirements are on par with Quark Xpress, maybe even a bit less, and any Mac that can run OS 9 or OS X should be suitable.

Opentype is a new font type that you could also use (I've tried it and I really don't know the difference, so I can't really comment beyond it's working well for me)

Never heard of a PS3 Rip. What's that? PostScript 3?

Sounds like you've formed an opinion already too JAMG ;)

Here are the specs from Adobe's site:

Macintosh

- PowerPC® G3 or G4 processor
- Mac OS software version 9.1, 9.2x, or Mac OS X version 10.1, 10.2
- 128 MB of RAM with virtual memory on
- 220 MB of available hard-disk space for installation
- CD-ROM drive
- 256 colors at 1024x768 monitor resolution
For PostScript printing: PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3 printer required
An Internet connection recommended

How about the upcoming QuarkXpress 6?

Mac OS

- Mac OS X v10.2
- CD-ROM drive for installation
- Minimum 128MB total RAM
- 230MB available hard disk space for QuarkXPress installation
- TCP/IP network for site license (using Quark License Administrator)

Seems to me they are pretty close. Although the Quark Xpress 6 info is tentative upon actual release of the product. As well I noticed there are no OS 9 options.

The OS 9 only Quark 5 is going to have much lower requirements, since it's how old? I lost track. It was able to run on hardware that is much, much older. Then again, Adobe InDesign should run on hardware as old as 5 years ago (G3 processor and 128MB RAM + HD space)

So it seems to me that while Quark is busy trying to get their flagship product up to X-able standards, Adobe has already done so and is in a position to leapfrog Quark. This is actually kind of interesting since it was Quark, over a decade ago, that leapfrogged Adobe when the floundered with PageMaker.

What comes around, goes around...

it's like the circle of life... for prepress! :D

:cool:

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
I tried out a DEMO time limited versio of ID 2.0 on my b/w rev. B. G3 500mhz, 512mb, Mac Radeon 7000 (32mb vram) and the performace was poor under os X.2.4

I will give another try to ID 3

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed Atm light and solved the preview issue.

Quark in X seems okay so far... still better than running OS9

thanks all...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Strong Blade Said "For PostScript printing: PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3 printer required"

Most of Adobes's major inovations, ie Vector Transparancy, Gradient Mesh {in Illustrator} will choke most postscript Level 2 Rips. Adobe recommends updating to Postscript Level 3 which is not currently available or not currently affordable to all existing systems.

Quark does not need anywhere near 128 megs Ram... and Adobes user forums currently recommend 200 megs + Ram for Indesign.

Id2 does work well with TT and T1 fonts, but Adobe only wants to sell Open type so they can push the extended characters that few use. It is a minor convenience over the Expert and Alternate font versions Adobe has been selling for years.... Pardon me if I don't get too excited about the repackaging of multiple fonts into a single new format...

Don't get me wrong, I am not actually proQuark or Anti Adobe. Evolution is alway painfull when it upsets the statis quo. Quark is an 800 pound gorilla that has been resting on its laurels... ID2 is a yappy puppy nipping at its heels.... Too soon to tell which will be dominant in the future...

The only constant is that things will change, eventually...
for better or for worse.. But that's for history to decide...

·
Banned
14,046 Posts
We have found (we sell a software RIP) that Illustrator and Photoshop actually do not make very good PostScript files.

Most of the time we see RIPing issues with PS files from the above sofware, we tell the client to drop the file into Quark and create the PS file from there.

Almost always solves the problem.

I know it sound weird that the people who wrote the book on PostScript would not always create good PS files, but that is what our experience shows.

Our RIP doesn't even choke on Corel files, usually the death of RIPs.

Ok, it's starting to sound like a commercial.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.