Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20021126.php

<blockquote>Indeed, these witnesses attest, audience questions about Mac OS X provoked an Ebrahimi tirade of Old Testament proportions: Quark’s Dear Leader told his squirming guests that “the Macintosh platform is shrinking,” and that “publishing is dying.” He suggested that anyone dissatisfied with Quark’s Mac commitment should “switch to something else,” although he insisted that making the move to Adobe’s long-Carbonized InDesign package is “committing suicide.”</blockquote>

A slightly more humorous take is here.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
That is just sad. Poor excuse not to port a OS X version. And I don't think we're "shrinking." :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I thought they had a version for os x under development for release this year.
Its been two years and they may not have enough brains to finish the job.
It is jsut foolish for quark to throw away all their mac customers, Steve keeps throwing barbs their way in his keynotes, maybe they cant take a ribbing

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have used and taught XPress for 12 years. I bought a copy of InDesign version 1 when it first shipped, but was really disappointed with it and I let Adobe know. Peter Kellogg-Smith, the InDesign product manager actually called me at work to discuss what I felt InDesign needed. We had a productive chat, then he sent me a free copy of version 1.5. Once version 2 was released, I knew we finally had the Quark Killer that many of us wanted.

I still use XPress, but only when I absolutely have to. All new work is being done in InDesign 2. Quark have raped my wallet plenty over the years and will not get another nickel out f me. I am enjoying page layout again.

My guess is that we will in fact see an OSX version of XPress, but it will be too late, too buggy and still won't hold a candle to InDesign. I expect Quark will eventually have a fire sale and get swallowed up by Microsoft.

B

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I'm tired of being raped by Quark on upgrades, then ignored when OS X shipped. Their lack of support for Mac customers is shameful and offensive.

There should have been a beta testing version of it for OS X released a year ago.

I find my loyalty to Quark slipping fast.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quark, Quark, Quark... :rolleyes:
[trying very hard not to begin a lengthy rant]

Quark's the only app. keeping me from leaving 9 behind.

Wake up and smell the kitten/Jag!!!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
This is testemonial. I was always wondering. Old colleagues were telling me that Qwack Xpress was easy etc... But I never got around to using it. I've just not gone out to check out InD2 yet, but always wondered. I'm partisan of Adobe layout.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I still use XPress, but only when I absolutely have to. All new work is being done in InDesign 2. Quark have raped my wallet plenty over the years and will not get another nickel out f me. I am enjoying page layout again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coyote:
I find my loyalty to Quark slipping fast.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
To help push you closer to a better alternative, if you're ever passing through Mississauga, your welcome to drop into my office for a demo of InDesign. Bring some QX files and you can convert them yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Oh man this is sweet.

Goodbye Quark, Nice to see them go.

This was discussed a little in this ehMac Thread.

Here is a copy of my rant...
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Heart
Public Official
Member # 102
posted January 08, 2003 08:27 AM                     
quote:
Chealion: Can't wait till Quark releases XPress 6

Don't wait move to InDesign 2.02 now it is a far superior program

quote:
macspectrum : For DTP, pre-press and printing markets, OS X still needs to come a long way in terms of stability, native apps and utilities and FONTS !

DTP: See above - InDesign 2.02
Stability : ? Unix
Native Apps : Over 5000 native apps (Announced MWSF 2003)

Fonts: Extensis Suitcase 10, the world?s best selling font manager, takes the work out of working with fonts. Packed with automated features that make activating, organizing and previewing fonts a snap, Suitcase is the fastest way to work with fonts in today?s creative applications. Now, Suitcase 10 provides true font management for Mac OS X, supporting both OS X and Classic applications.
Suitcase 10

P.S. - This post is a part of my personal journey to turn people off of Quark and on InDesign as I have used both and experience a more lovable Apple like experience with InDesign. Not to mention that Quark is so far off the mark with a Native OS X that it is rediculous. Quark is not the superior program. IMHO <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mississauga where's your office? I'll drop by.

I've got InDesign 2, but I'd like to see someone use it really proficiently for commercial work. As I've been using Quark for almost 10 years, and teaching it for about 6 years, I find it pretty easy, and starting from scratch in new software, even so it's got the Adobe friendly interface, is a little disheartening.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I would love to sit in on a demo as well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quark is not going to survive. They are trying to dictate the publishing world with threats.

And an industry will not bend to threats.

Mac OS X has InDesign now. It may not be as polished yet, but it works in X, and Quark isn't. And possibly may never will.

:cool:

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
all Adobe has to do to kill off Quark is to follow M$ lead and bundle os x versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, ATM, InDesign on one CD, wait for it, AT A KILLER PRICE and voila, Quark is finnito.

It is up to Adobe whether they want to risk making the big $'s today or make it forever.

Adobe has to realize that converting the many DTP, prepress and print shops over to ID2 is going to take a lot of training.

so some cheap pricing would get them in the door and get quark out - adobe knows this but they have not learned from M$ model.

for proof, anyone still using Lotus 1-2-3 or Quattro or WordPerfect much these days?

so endeth the lesson

i hope adobe is listening and reading...

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ohenri:
I would love to sit in on a demo as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll be awaiting a call from coyote in the morning to set up a time/day. I'll post here once I know. If it suits you, you're more than welcome to join us.

E-mail me so I might reply with address and directions.

mississauga at mac dot com

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
The problem is not so much Quark from the "switch" standpoint. The real problem is Extensis as there are custom workflow plug-in solutions using the Quark engine that would be enormously difficult for some major publishers to re-engineer.
Individual designers can switch as can smaller shops where the work is pretty much isolated to individual stations.
Re-engineering an entire work flow system WHEN IT WORKS FINE ON OS9
is where the major headache lies.

If you combine that with the situation that Quark works fine on cheaper PC hardware - of course it's buggy - Quark is buggy period regardless of platform.
But a big supplier can get cheap fast PCs to fit into its workflow.
Bottom line - some will switch to Indesign, some to PC and the rest will tear their hair out until forced in some direction :rolleyes:
I'd love Quark to be consigned to the PC world - they deserve each other.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
256 Posts
macspectrum, according to Adobe, ATM isn't being written for OSX. It'll only run in "Classic" or 9. I just switched back to Suitcase in December, as I begin gradually making the switch to OS X.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Most businesses at least give lip service to "The customer is always right."

Quark's maxim is "The customer is a conduit of money."

For about a year, it's been "The customer is an unavoidable nuisance."

Seems we've now moved on to "The customer is unnecessary."

How would I compete against Quark? First, I would develop a competing product. [check]
Then I would go head-to-head vs Quark in the marktetplace. [check]
Then I would update my product based on customer feedback. [check]
Then I would give my product away to everyone who bought a new Mac to gain market share. [check].

How would I compete against Adobe?
First, I would wake up and smell the coffee. [?]
Then, I would add features and enhancements to exploit my installed user base to marginalise the competition. [?]
Finally, I would call my customers idiots and demand they leave me alone, adding that I didn't want them to buy my stuff anyway because I just don't care if I ever hear from them again. [Oops, how did that get in there?]

Somebody should tell Quark that Dilbert is a parody, not an MBA textbook.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts