Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beta has been floating around on several servers today. Will try and grab tonite!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
SHHHHH!!! Pirating is illegal... If getting a beta is illegal... Not sure on the legalities of a leaked beta...

On the other hand, if you "happen" to see whats new or what not, it would be great to hear how Quark has actually done some work :eek: on Quark.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As the only server that I could find hosting Quark 6 was excessivly busy, downloading was next to impossible. Initial reports have it being very buggy, and still quite a way from being a finished product. One report stated "The beta can handle a cover letter or my resume, anything more complicated causes a crash. Meanwhile, I used Indesign for two projects this month. If adobe can find a speed increase, I'm switching!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Doesn't surprise me Quark 6 crashes. To say both version 4 and 5 were tempermental when they shipped would be an under statement. I'm pretty skeptical of Quark's next release.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Well, I have been given an "official" Quark 6 preview and here is what you can expect (keep in mind this is very early beta and stuff changes):

1. right now high-rez previews do not work all the time. Bitmapped files work fine but EPS files are still as ugly as ever.

2. Will not import PDF, .AI or .PSD files.

3. Will not import Excel files into table. It does import MS Word 98+ files but it was flakey.

4. Table support has been improved since 5 but pales by comparison to InDesign 2.0

5. Only saves back to version 5 and 6.

6. It does open version 4 files. I don't have verion 3 files kicking around so I couldn't test those. I reckon they should open fine.

7. They've wasted even more time on web features. ugh.

8. Same old confusing and irritating print dialog

9. It still crashes

10. Text boxes now anti-alias all the text... until you rotate the box and it goes to bitmap hell.

11.A maxminum of 30 undo levels

12. Collect for output now does fonts

Basically its a direct and plain port of Quark 5 to Carbon. There are NO wizbang features. It feels just like version 4 or 5 but gets native OS X support. Most of the new features are implemented as Quark Xtensions as expected, any of you with a ton of OS 9 xtension are going to need to upgrade ALL of them as Classic code will not run unmodified in Quark 6, but you knew this....

So far my feeling is if you are sitting on the fence re: Quark and InDesign and are expecting Quark to beat InDesign then you're out of luck. Not going to happen here. Go and get InDesign since it does so much more.
If you're just looking for a native Mac OS X version of Quark so you don't have to reboot everytime it crashes then run and get it when it comes out sometime this century. This release will finally quiet the folks who want to move to OS X but are waiting on a native port. Noting more, nothing less.

In the meantime, I'm expecting to see a beta of InDesign 3.0 very soon...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts