Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am debating between entourage and ical, which is easier to sync with the palm device? bugs?
if i go with either which options might i lose/gain compared to using palm directly?
can i live without the palm desktop? what about installing palm s/w and back up?
add: under jaguar 10.2.8

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
i used to use Palm Deskop, then went Entrouage and never looked back.

Entourage gives you what NO OTHER PIM or Email app does: calander, notes, tasks, contacts AND EMAIL all IN ONE APP. Given how we communicate in many differrent ways in this day and age, Entourage's advantages is obvious.

as for palm syncing, I have experienced sorting bugs with my addressbook data on my Palm PDA. Rather frustrating. i do not know if this problem exists due to Entourage, or the Handsping Neo's operating system or Addressbook handling :(

Hit versiontracker.com and search for the word "Palm" under mac OS software. you'll find lots of software for the Mac that integrates a Palm OS PDA. Although I'm still using handspring's Palm software and Entrouage conduit , there are other third party options for Entourage.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I use iCal + iSync + Palm iSync Conduit + Address Book and a Palm m505. Works fine. You just need the HotSync Manager which is installed with the Palm Desktop, you don't actually have to run Palm Desktop. I think you would need HotSync Manager if you were using Entourage as well.
Categories don't seem to show up in iCal or Address Book, although syncing does preserve them these fields are just not used.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use iCal with my Palm Zire 71, and the only bug I've found was that when I upgraded to Panther, any event I created on the Palm would show up in a new calendar called "Untitled" even though I had the iSync Palm Conduit set to put Palm events into an existing calendar.

It seemed to work itself out though, and now works as intended. I personally like iCal because it is simple and to the point. I've also tried Palm Desktop and Entourage, but find that iCal and Apple Mail work perfectly for my needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts