Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what people do at night with their computers with regards to putting them to sleep vs. shutting them down. A guy at a store today told me that he hasn't shut his computer down in 3 months. Are there any structural/system implications when it comes to putting a computer to sleep vs shutting it down?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the last time I shut down my G4 tower was during the Black-out, and before that was when I went away at x-mas. I never shut down becasue of an artical I read many....many...many years ago in some tech mag. They said it was a bad idea to always shut down and power up cause of the boards heating and cooling, which would eventually damage them. How true this was or is this I don't know. In the short of it, I'm just to darn lazy to click that extra button.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
my g4 doesn't sleep properly. alway crashes upon waking. g3 wallstreet has a problem to - the LCD screen stays black after waking, although the computer is clearly on and otherwise functioning normally.

any thoughts? could it be a firmware issue? i thought i read somewhere that the firmware needs to be flashed for X, but it was so long ago that i'm not sure which machines this applied to.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Strictly Nyquil. Never shut it off... let alone the time for booting, like Cuba mentioned, read long ago that on/off was constant strain.

H!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Mine sleeps during the day when not used, and is shut down at night. Continuous Starting up and shutting down is much harder on your components, but in most cases its mostly negligeable. I have a 10 year old Performa that was started up and shut down all the time and its still running very well (albeit a slow 33Mhz).

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Not sure if it's still relevant with all the technological advances made, but the original case against shutting down / booting up was the daily strain of the power surge through the components (this may have been a bunch of hooey, but that's what used to be said).

IMHO, the resistance to using "sleep mode" comes from Windoze Switchers who used to have to put up with Micro$lop's "suspend" feature. O, God, How I Hated Thee. My former office laptop (a Dell) misinterpreted "suspend", translating it instead as "confuse the hell out of the system and make life incredibly complicated for user."

Moving from OS 9 to OS X, Sleep/Wakeup took on a whole new life. Near-instantaneous recovery, whereas in OS 9, I could literally could 'one-one thousand' up to 10 secs before the GUI responded to input. With X, no waiting!

My $0.02. (what's that with inflation?)

:cool:
M

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Only time I shut down the 'puter ( a G4 tower) is if I'll be away for a few days or in a situation like during the recent power failure (and rotating black-outs).

Otherwise it sleeps while safely connected to a UPS....

My powerbook is a different story, if I use it heavily throughout the day, it sleeps, but it gets shut down at night no matter what.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I never shut down my Ti unless I have to for software updates. Instant on (which isn't quite as instant as it used to be btw - different thread) is one of the best features of X IMHO.

My iMac in the kitchen though gets shut down all the time b/c my epnymous cat steps on the kybd at night and wakes it up (which I'm sure you'll agree, sort of defeats the purpose of putting a computer to sleep in the first place :D )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts