Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I'm moving this topic to Anything Mac where it's better suited and will get more exposure.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Skaimauve, that's fabulous!

Please submit it to the VersionTracker and [http://www.macupdate.com]MacUpdate[/url] archives so Canadians everywhere (those who haven't discovered our little community) can benefit. (and maybe to Apple's OS X software page?)

:D
M

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok this is pretty cool, but I don't understand Step 5?

I have selected the Canadian Flag, and de-selected the American Flag. After doing that the Checkmark infront of the Canadian Flag is greyed out, there is not option like Step 5? What am I missing? and how do I do it?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Ok this is pretty cool, but I don't understand Step 5?
Hello,

In Panther, go to System Preferences, International, Input Menu, then select the little box in the lower left to show the input menu in the menu bar.

James

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well that explains it :D I'm still using Jaguar. So that little option is not available to me. However, the best option I guess is to click on the Union Jack and have the Input Menu show up to the right of the Help on the Bar at the top displaying the Canadian Flag.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Anyone else smell that...I smell the Order of Canada. That is awesome. I love this place. :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
"Well that explains it I'm still using Jaguar. So that little option is not available to me. However, the best option I guess is to click on the Union Jack and have the Input Menu show up to the right of the Help on the Bar at the top displaying the Canadian Flag."

or for twice the Canada... select csa and you pulldown option will have two Canadian flags

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
:D

Terrific! :cool:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just a correction, but the Union Jack is the UK flag, while the Amercan flag is called Old Glory.

I haven't done the switch yet, but I'm assuming it suppose to mean Old Glory and not the Union Jack, since the UK keyboard layout has the @ key where the " key is and vice versa.

vince

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Technically the US flag is called just that; but there are nicknames such as:
Stars & Stripes
Stars & Bars
Old Glory
Betsy Ross (haven't heard that one much, but there you go)

The British Flag is properly called the Union Jack. A "Jack" is a naval term referring to a small flag mounted to a forward staff on a ship; in other words a small flag (as compared to the large flag flown on the main mast).

It's also been officially called "His Majesty's Jack". Both it and Union Jack, as well as the "Union Flag" are proper and officially recognised by the UK and it's offices.

Nicknames are:
St. George's Cross
St. Andrew's Cross (both crosses appear on the flag together, St. Andrew's on top of St. George's)
St. Patrick's Cross
... and quite a few others, including a number of military nicknames.

The Canadain flag is, like the US flag, officially referred to simply as the Canadian Flag. It is also well known as the Maple Leaf Flag, but this is not officially endorsed, although commonly used by Government colloquially.

Prior to the adoption of our current flag, some of us might remember pledging allegance to the Red Ensign (an official name) at school. It was the Canadian Flag before 1965 and consisted of the Union Jack in the left-top quarter and a 3-quarters red background.

I was just about to solve this daily annoyance myself (that damn flag on my desktop); many thanks for saving me the time and for doing a good job to boot.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
If I used the input menu at all (I keep it disabled just because I have so many other menu items) I would be using this too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just realized that I can't use my Option key combinations to make French accents with this Canadian keyboard layout. That feature is available with the British and the US layouts.
Too bad.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
:eek: Oh Crap! :eek:

I haven't written anything in spanish lately, and so didn't notice that. Shoot - guess I'll have to give up the Flag to get the accents :(

M

·
Premium Member
30,883 Posts
Yeah I had similar problems some of my "bullets" I use are MIA. :(
So my computer is now stateless with no flag shown.
Anyone got a UN hack. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Thanks for this!!! I am soooooo glad to have the US flag off my desktop!!!

We should ask the mayor to create a special forum or sub-forum of the Trouble-shooting section for useful, downloadable hacks like this...so they don't get lost in the system someplace.

It could become a great resource for ehMac residents and other Mac users in general. Others that comes to mind are the ehMac IRC chat or the Konfabulator ehMac widget...and other items I cannot recall at this time.

What do you think? Mr. Mayor, is this doable?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts