Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I too recall the nickel call and station to station.

Back in the 60s when a teen, when I went on a road trip with friends, my Mom and I worked out a system to beat the station to station versus those expensive person to person long distance calls.

When I arrived at my destination safely, I placed a long distance person to person call to myself at my parents number. Mom would answer and tell the operator, sorry, he's not home. She would then know I was OK and the call was free. ;)

I remember phone bills of $80 or more for long distance calls home to Sask. from SW Ont. in the early 70s just by calling once a week for 15 minutes or so.

For the record BigDL, I will be 63 on the 25th of this month.
Wow, I have unlimited long distance calling in north america on my cell phone (which is my only phone) and it costs me $16 a month. :eek:

· Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Bastards!

I really do hate bell, I was camping and the only phones available are bell payphones that only take credit cards. I think the rate is about $0.50 a minute. GRRRRRRR, I need to get a 1800 dial in voip number :D

· Premium Member
259 Posts
Wow, I have unlimited long distance calling in north america on my cell phone (which is my only phone) and it costs me $16 a month. :eek:
I would like to know too.

As for using pay phones, I buy a $5 phone card from Wally World or from a corner store and use that instead of a credit card. You get a better rate if you use a local tie-in number on the back of the card. I always try to have one in my wallet and you almost never have to find a quarter or two..

Ontario to Newfoundland calls were about 5 cents a minute on a pay phone when I was in Hamilton early May.

· Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Where do you get a montly plan like that?
Best I can find is $30.- per month with 1000 minutes NA LD.
I would like to know too.
http://www.worldline.ca/

Its a dial in to a voip line. I've got it programed on my cell as the first entry and I can then dial and flip through my address book while the ad is playing and then dial the number. Works pretty quickly.

· Premium Member
259 Posts

· Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Long Distance Canada - Lowest Cost Phone Service | Worldline.ca

Its a dial in to a voip line. I've got it programed on my cell as the first entry and I can then dial and flip through my address book while the ad is playing and then dial the number. Works pretty quickly.
Oh............:(

That's $16.- for the long distance portion only. I thought that included your cell phone as well.
I signed up for the Bell $5.00 plan for 1000 minutes Canada and US. But that only works from a landline I think.
For the cell phones I have 100 minutes LD included and I use a dial around service at 2.9 cents per minute between major Canadian centres if I go over that.
All depends on your calling patterns which is best for you

· Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Oh............:(

That's $16.- for the long distance portion only. I thought that included your cell phone as well.
I signed up for the Bell $5.00 plan for 1000 minutes Canada and US. But that only works from a landline I think.
For the cell phones I have 100 minutes LD included and I use a dial around service at 2.9 cents per minute between major Canadian centres if I go over that.
All depends on your calling patterns which is best for you
Any one else notice that a lot of young people seem to be calling them "LAN Lines"?

Totally off topic, but i'm throwing it out there.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.