Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
"Who doesn't carry a cellphone any more these days?" I don't. Of course, I remember when a pay phone call was a dime.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The rate goes up on Saturday for Bell public phone.

Just thought I would mention..it goes to 50 cents.. first increase since 1981.

RtC
and a 100% increase at that

oh, poor bell
perhaps less stupid beaver commercials and less 6 million dollar bonuses for bell's ceo might make bell more profitable

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Wow, Pay phones here went up to $0.35 a few years ago here and that sucked enough. *sigh* the times, they are a changin...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
"Who doesn't carry a cellphone any more these days?" I don't. Of course, I remember when a pay phone call was a dime.
For the last two years, neither do I. People ask me how I survive, and I say "just the same we all did 15 years ago before 'everyone' got cell phones".

Although because of a need to support clients with Daylite, I am looking at picking up a Blackberry this week.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
87,822 Posts
I can remember when there were no pay phones within a hundred miles of home. The phone was a wooden box that hung on the wall with an attached mouthpiece and a receiver that hung on a hook. A turn of the crank on the side got you the operator who controlled your "party line" with perhaps four or five neighbours. Our phone number was 3 ring 2 which meant when it rang three times, paused, then rang two more the call was for you:

Yep, that's right gt, I'm older than dirt. ;)

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Oakbridge, I get the same "How can you survive without a cell phone?" I reply, "I just do" ............ as they excuse themselves to take a phone call on their cell. I just smile. Paix, mon ami.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
"Let me fix that for you. Quote: Originally Posted by Dr.G. I remember when the phone was invented." guytoronto, yes, I recall the day well. It was a clear day on March 10, when uncle Alex (aka Alexander Graham Bell) said his famous words "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you." Even more amazing was when uncle Alex called me on August 10th, 1876 from his home in Brantford, ON, to where I was staying in Paris, ON, 16km away. He was a bit ticked off when I told him that these were going to be long distance charges and that he should be careful about his minutes online.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Sinc, I can't say that I ever had/saw those sorts of telephones in actual use.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
87,822 Posts
Sinc, I can't say that I ever had/saw those sorts of telephones in actual use.
My wife's parents still had one of these in their home on the farm in 1965, the year we married. They did not get dial phones until the early 70s in some areas of rural Saskatchewan.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
Sinc, growing up in an apartment house in New York City, I was spoiled with the modern conveniences of telephones, radio and TV. I can't recall a time without these in the home. Of course, my son, who is now 20, has never known a day when there was not a computer in the home, so all is relative I guess.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I remember using them the odd time a year or so ago, if I had to make a short phone call. My cell phone was 25cents for the first 5min of a day then 10cents after that. If I hadn't made any calls that day, it was cheaper to use a pay phone if it was handy. Prior to last year, the closest payphone was a 20min drive away ;)

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
To show my age. I believe I am a tad younger than you lads Dr.G and SINC.

I remember when public phone calls went from a nickel to a dime. I was about 9 years old in Nova Scotia at the time. I remember this perhaps being reinforced from a rude comment by my brothers "here's a nickel call somebody who cares."

I also remember my Mother calling the Operator to make a station to station long distance call. The cheapy way to call. I was told Person to Person long Distance calling was for millionaires when I asked. Long Distance was very very expensive. I still consider Long Distance telephone (especially from a cell) calling a luxury.

What was the massive long distance that one had to call the operator? From Halifax to Sydney CB Nova Scotia. Not only did my Mother have to call an Operator to make the call but she had to wait around home until the Operator called back sometimes as long 4 to 6 hours later.

2 years ago my father gave up his rotary dial telephone. There was a test of patients especially on 8, 9's and 0's.

The other issue raised how do you get along without a cell phone? Very well thank-you. I technically have a prepaid cell phone. It is in my name and was purchased as a surprise gift for my wife. My wife carries the phone almost exclusively. She is free to use the cell phone as she pleases. As in "since the day we were married, one word from me, and she does as she pleases anyway." :D

I have arranged an automatic top up as required in $10 increments. I have also "contracted" for Caller ID and Voice Mail at a cost 0f $6 a month. I have only ever paid $10 prepaid per month and have a $70 prepaid credit.

One thing that will make me "twist in the wind" is to see a person within arms reach of a "land line" with prepaid long distance calling use a cell phone to make that long distance call. :eek:

I also pay attention and make a mental note of the location of Pay Phones. I also do the same for location of Mail boxes as an aside. mail Boxes seem to be fewer than pay phones. :(

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
87,822 Posts
To show my age. I believe I am a tad younger than you lads Dr.G and SINC.
I too recall the nickel call and station to station.

Back in the 60s when a teen, when I went on a road trip with friends, my Mom and I worked out a system to beat the station to station versus those expensive person to person long distance calls.

When I arrived at my destination safely, I placed a long distance person to person call to myself at my parents number. Mom would answer and tell the operator, sorry, he's not home. She would then know I was OK and the call was free. ;)

I remember phone bills of $80 or more for long distance calls home to Sask. from SW Ont. in the early 70s just by calling once a week for 15 minutes or so.

For the record BigDL, I will be 63 on the 25th of this month.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
:clap:May i be the first to congratulate you. Happy Birthday! :clap:

For the record BigDL, I will be 63 on the 25th of this month.
Gee SINC you personally are out of sync with the Beatles. You missed the Sgt. Pepper's 40th Anniversary of when I'm 64 by a year. It is a shame your parents weren't better at planning for future pop culture events. :D

And my earth seniority date is a little over 9 years your junior.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.