Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not strictly relevant to Macs, but I've finally gotten my sons PS2 network adaptor working via Rogers cable. I'd had it connected to a hub and to a 1 port LinkSys router through to a Terryon cable modem. A few weeks ago I bought a DLink 4 port + wireless modem to increase the 802.11b coverage in the house. Today I directly connected his adaptor to one of the ethernet ports and set up a virtual server for SOCOM. Everything works perfectly, inc. the SOCOM headset.

Rogers were not helpful but there seem to be a few issues. One is the avoidance of a hub in the set up (I have my Airport basestation connected to it without problem) and the need to open certain ports.

BTW, D-link is supposedly Mac friendly and Linksys not but I had a tougher time working through the D-link docs which are only geared to Windows.

The second wireless connector is great. I've two networks set up (make sure the bands are at least 4 ranges apart) with 128 bit WEP. I've not noticed any difference in operating my 17" powerbook through the Airport or the D-link wireless access points. I don't see the point in upgrading to Airport Extreme as we've only 1 802.11g card (in the powerbook) and the bottleneck is Rogers not the Macs (+ I'd have to run a mixed network where the speed increase is only 2X instead of 5X).

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha.... I assumed it would be that easy but spent many a wasted hour trying to get the dang configuation to work.

There again, my son just voted me MVP (after he attained MVP in Socom - apparently 6 months of fighting the darn computer gave him some sort of edge....).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
That is odd that you were having so much trouble. I just ran an ethernet cable from my router[1] to my PS2, ran the config CD, and then started playing SOCOM and then Auto Modellista.

I am probably going to have more trouble with setting up a wireless bridge when I get one due to the WEP and MAC filtering on my wireless, but that isn't the PS2s fault.

[1] 2 routers actually, first a Netgear and then I switched to a newer, better, easier to configure D-Link.

--PB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts