Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best and cheapest way to protect my Imac from intruders, snoopers, spys. and the like?

In addition :

I wrote a while back about my safari disconnecting from the net even while I was working on it, and after i bring it back from sleep, so I got Java and then it did not work well either, then I got a Java update, so now it is a bit better, but still disconnect from net while sleeping.

Any answers?

David

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
In you System Preferences, Sharing, turn off all kinds of sharing. And then never worry about this again.

In your System Prefences, Network, there is a drop-down box that requires the Mac to join your preferred network on waking. Make sure it's the only network listed there, and then never worry about this again.

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
David, are you using a DSL connection? If so, go to your System Preferences and UNCHECK the box that says "connect when needed" or something like that.

As for protection: Relax. No worries. Kill sharing if you like, but really - the odds are ridiculously small that you would have any problem.

As for virus protection -ditto. You can download and install ClamXav is you like (it's free) but frankly, if a real threat to the Mac ever arose, the internet would implode - you'd hear about it long before it ever came close to affecting you.

M

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure your firewall is on - System Prefs->Sharing->Firewall

Whenever Software Update tells you that there are patches available, install them since the patches frequently address security issues.

Also, an app like Little Snitch can tell you which applications are trying to "phone home" and possibly send out personal information.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The best way to protect any system is to use a hardware based firewall. That is your best first line of defense. Allot of Linksys routers have a very powerful SPI firewall which essentially will protect your system from internet intruders. I am not 100% sure if Apples routers have an SPI firewall, if they do can someone let me know because that would be awesome!

For antivirus, I agree 100% with everyone who recommends ClamXav. It is the best that I have ever seen! Much better then Norton!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have upgraded my Firefox. to 20.0. 5 Seems ok so far. Installed ClamXav.

OS 10.3.9 won't take Firefox turboload ? upgrade..........

I do not know what SPI firewall is yet.

I think things are getting better.

Thanks to you all.
David

People fail in any endeavor, for only one reason, and that is for the lack of the right knowledge to solve the problem at hand.

In vain we build world, if we do not at first build the individual.

Consider your words and actions , if they do not promote love, good will, honor, integrity, nobility, and the like, do not speak or act.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts