Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
konnichiha mina-sama,

hajimemashite, abu tawus desu. dozou yoroshiku onegaishimasu ! (minus any romaji spelling mistakes)...

ok, here's my story: i need to buy a new laptop or desktop system for myself this spring inshAllaah. i have been pc-less since october 2003 after i finally decided to sell my pentiumIIIasaurus (boohoo, ladida)- i can manage to stay within my $1500 budget (after taxes) if I get myself a simple shuttle xpc system with an amd atlon 2500+ xp processor, dvdburner, 40g hd, 512mb crusoe ram, monitor, and wireless mouse + keyboard. then along comes a friend of mine (adobe's chocolate hermit) who introduces me to apple's 12" ibook and ehmac forum. now i don't know what i want anymore :(

before you criticize me for my inconsistent contempt for english punctuation + whatnot, i shall furnish you with further details to best facilitate your unbiased advice to me...

i don't fancy the hardware risks of portable electronics in general, hence limiting my future ibook to the confines of my room, but then again i don't much fancy the computing limitations of an amd processor (in comparison to apple's g4). the only suitable solution imo would be if the ibook came equipped with a dvd burner. i beg your ehmac counsel regarding this matter please :D

abutawus yori

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
It is possible to get an iBook with a SuperDrive third party though.

News Source

Though depending on the money, a 12" Powerbook with the SuperDrive is a beautiful machine (I own one).

That should be a good system for you if you want a laptop.

However, you could very well pick up the current G5s at a discounted price when the G5s are updated in the near future. There are always second hand or even discontinued models that can be bought. They may not be the latest and greatest but work superbly.

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Salaam halaikum, abutawas,

Let's revisit this discussion on Tuesday night, after we see what magical wonders are revealed by the great master, Steve Jobs, at MacWorld!

The keynote will be available for viewing at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/

and requires QuickTime 6.

:cool:
M

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have you considered the eMac? It's probably the best deal for the money that Apple sells and if you don't need something portable, that beautiful, crisp 17' display has got to look pretty attractive.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Old dawg came thru like Ol'faithful. The eMac is what you may want to put your hands on AY. You can get a G4 with a Superdrive for a quite affordable rate. Get ready for closed architecture, unless you get a used tower. But you should have all your needs dealt with in one drop of cash (not that big either $1499 out the box for eMac w/ SuperDrive).

Nonetheless, here are the eMac specs. Dig in. ;)

h!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts