Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So GB is this pretty powerful tool which is going to make us all buy G5s right? :cool:

It is also not that easy to use for non musicos like me; and who are in danger of giving up after a few hours of pasting together meaningless loops, unless... :confused:

We pool our knowledge is a way that doesn't require 100Mb each time... So let's just imagine for a minute that we documented our GB tracks, and even focused initially on re-creating well known tunes... Something like, dunno, Satisfaction is made up of (i) this riff on the guitar via the software keyboard, (ii) this drum loop followed by that one, etc. Before you know it, we would pool excellent knowledge that would help us all learn how to be creative (as opposed to knowing the software or the intricacies of MIDI programming).

Anyone wants to start? ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Moscool - count me in. I am waiting for reports of the functionality of Garageband on a B&W G4/500 before I commit. Can I be the violin?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LG, I can say that GB is having some difficulty sometimes rendering 'in real time' but the wait is definitely not worse than in iMovies. I'll probalby start this weekend with some simple stuff such as blues riffs. Let's see where it gets us...

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, not a collective track.

The idea is that we learn best by practicing and we learn even better by practicing on something that we already know.

So imagine that you tried to recreate a famous song using mostly loops and the minimum number of direct inputs via software instruments. You could share with others how you assembled this so that they could reproduce the same sound using their own copy of GB.

The alternative would be to create your own music, host it and then share with others specifically how you did it.

Tempted?

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Of Course, where shall we host it?
We need a collective hosting arrangement..
Sinful, but 90 day .mac accounts are tempting..

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hosting the GB file would be very large (perhaps 50Mb per project), Maybe AAC files at a lowish compression rate would be best (say 3Mb per song). If we had 50Mb for starters that should be plenty. I could provide 50 Mb on my FTP but I need to ask my service provider each time I upload something. I could also offer 50-100Mb on my iDisk, provided that it behaves and doesn't take hours to upload...

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I dont need space in general myself, but a place for ehmac Canadians to show off there tunes might be cool..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts