Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question of implementing proportional representation is going to be asked in a referendum. https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/ I've been looking at the alternatives to our existing system and have concluded I like the "mixed member proportional" alternative best. MMP will allow me to select the best candidate and the best party, something I've wrestled with a lot especially in provincial politics.

The provincial government will hold a second referendum after two election cycles to ask if the residents should keep PR or return to first past the pole.

I have no idea if PR will make it in this time or not but when I look at the divisiveness of the political environment now, it seems a government that represents less than the majority of the votes is not fair nor much good.

It will be interesting.

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
These ideas usually come up when the left wants to cement some semblance of power after it loses big in the next election.

MMP would just create a different type of divisiveness. Left-of-centre or right-of-centre parties would band together to form majorities. So the NDP might still be in power, but it might lean further left and agree to more "green" whack job policies.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
I’m pleased to see some movement on the methods we use to elect our members, and I do think at the provincial level is the way to go before moving up to the feds. In fact the feds would be smart to have each province choose a method and study the reaction.

That said, I’ve worked many elections and no matter what method is chosen we first have to get people to place a simple X in a simple circle. Based on the marked ballots I’ve seen this simple task seems almost impossible for many....

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
That said, I’ve worked many elections and no matter what method is chosen we first have to get people to place a simple X in a simple circle. Based on the marked ballots I’ve seen this simple task seems almost impossible for many....
If only those who want to make a difference vote, I'm fine with that.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
PR is a great idea if you want to throw our country into the chaos that is Europe with coalition after coalition getting nothing done due to the system they use. FPTP avoids that and has served this country well for well over a hundred years. PR is a backward step and poses many problems we now do not have.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
MacFury you know where I stand on voting. I believe everyone MUST vote...but you give them a “non of the above” or a “protest” choice. Our country doesn’t ask us for much....the least we can do is vote.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
PR is a great idea if you want to throw our country into the chaos that is Europe with coalition after coalition getting nothing done due to the system they use. FPTP avoids that and has served this country well for well over a hundred years. PR is a backward step and poses many problems we now do not have.
Sinc, I only see this as a problem with minority governments. So we have fixed terms and the minority governments don’t fall. What I would like to see is the cabinet ministers become non elected positions and open to the best candidates no matter what party.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Sinc, I only see this as a problem with minority governments. So we have fixed terms and the minority governments don’t fall. What I would like to see is the cabinet ministers become non elected positions and open to the best candidates no matter what party.
Sorry Rp, but I would never support unelected people in any position of power.

Jim Prentice experimented with this by appointing former mayor Mandel of Edmonton as health minister without being elected. Do I have to remind you the election outcome for both Prentice and Mandel? I think most Canadians would find it as offensive as I did.

·
Premium Member
42,482 Posts
MacFury you know where I stand on voting. I believe everyone MUST vote...but you give them a “non of the above” or a “protest” choice. Our country doesn’t ask us for much....the least we can do is vote.
Our country asks for a lot--a ridiculously large chunk of my income that make it difficult for me to make ends meet. It also asks me to follow laws that benefit the government and large corporations... not me.

Your idea demands people kowtow to a system they may not support and that is not acceptable to me. You're forced to vote in autocratic countries where voter choice is an illusion. Election day in these countries creates an impression that everyone supports the system.

Staying home must be part of the acceptable forms of protest... and also disinterest.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Go with ranked ballot. Also, reject anything that would result in multiple MLAs for a given geographic space (dilutes accountability) or party lists (empowers party apparatus).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts