Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who haven't had enough of the Virginia Tech supercomputer cluster story (and IMO, this is one of the biggest Apple success stories ever), Apple has posted a Quicktime movie with interviews and images from the facility.

View it here.

Dr. Varadarajan gets lots of screen time looking like the proverbial Cheshire cat (and deservedly so).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I loved the video, I just though how interesting it was, because of the easy of the G5's I/O systems, that a supercomputer could be made like that. Now thanks to 1100 G5 Computers
, 2200 G5 Processors, Virgina Tech now has the 3rd most powerful supercomputer (In Gigaflops, over 10/sec) in the world, and was only a fraction of the cost
of the most powerful one in Japan. This was one of the best Apple vids on the site right now, I highly recommend watching it if you have broadband, and a spare 5-10 min.

Enjoy All

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I really enjoyed the video and almost wish I had about C$10 million to donate to my Alma Mater (UBC) for something like this. Not only would it promote Macs on campus, but also it would give so much profile to the university.

I would donate to a capital campaign if they committed to building another G5 supercluster here in Canada.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts