Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced projector that can display ppt slides from a USB stick or memory card directly without a computer.

Preferably one that can handle Keynotes as well.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Both Power Point and Keynote are applications which employ fonts, so some sort of computer would be required, either built in to the projector or on an attached computer. If you convert the ppt documents to a series of jpgs, is there something that could handle that?

Alternatively if the projector can access the cloud, OneDrive does have cloud based Power Point embedded. Of course if it can access the internet, then the projector would be looking at the same every time you sneeze updates that plague most computers today, and it would require internet access to work.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still looking for a projector that will work directly with PPT presentations un a flash drive.

Searching the net it turns out that I'm not alone looking for this capability.

There are a number of projectors called "PC free" but wehen one reads reviews or looks at their capabilities closely they all seem to have serious deficiencies.
"PC free" seems to be more of a marketing term than what it suggested to me - running Office applications straight from a USB stick plugged into the connector.

BTW - I need something that is totally free-standing.
No access to the internet. Converting ppt to jpgs might work but one would need full control when to change the jpg and also the possibility to move back a "jpg" slide or two.

I should also mention that I need a brightness sufficient to show the presentation in a reasonably lit romm, bright enough for students to take notes.
I'm guessing at needing 2500 lumens or better - that also eliminates many projectors advertised as "PC free"

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
As eMacMan noted, a projector is a projector, not a computer. Something needs to open the PPT file and send a video signal to the projector.

Any ancient or low-power laptop can serve as a basic PPT unit to do this. Heck, you can do it with a smartphone and an HDMI adapter (depending on the inputs available on the projector in question).

In our main classroom, the techs have a projector installed on the ceiling and the old VGA-style cables run out to the floor for hooking up a PC. Since I prefer a better experience, I just take my laptop (which has my presenter's notes shown in Keynote) and project to an AppleTV that I hook up myself to receive the video wirelessly. The AppleTV is connected to the projector via HDMI.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I can't accept the argument that a projector is a projector and not a computer.

Sure, one needs some sort of application built into the projector to read PPT files, but there is no reason why such a product doesn't exist.
Many projectors can read jpeg files directly from a flash drive - that capability requires some "computer" capability in the projector as well; I have also found projectors that can read PPT files directly from a flash drive like this one:
https://www.projectors.co.uk/projectors/by-features/pc-free-projectors/nec-l102w-projector/
but all the ones I found so far have too low a light output to be used in a lit classroom.

The Epson "PC free" ones can essentially only read jpegs - the idea here is that the PPT presentation is converted to jpegs but that is stretching the "PC-free" moniker in my opinion.

I had stopped looking for a while but now I have come up with a few different search terms which may help me find this elusive product.
I had just koped that someone had been looking for something like this and had a recommendation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts