Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have ordered my Ti1Ghz, I need to start moving some of my work over from linux/windows to OS X. Primarily I am interested in project management and database design software. In the past I have used MS Project and ERWin, can anyone please suggest a replacement for these two products?

It seems to me that if mac is going to take off with OS X, a site that suggests these sorts of compadibilites is a must, does anyone know of a site that can suggest MS Project replacement suite(s)? Besides google?

Thanks,

James

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
You may want to try Apple Hardware and Software Guide .... http://guide.apple.com/ under software.

Man there's a few DBMS's I've never heard of listed in there...

Hmmm... it would be nice if the guide had a few more categories or a way to find a similar product to the one you wanted... ie. give it a product and let it find a similar one.

Someone else arounnd here may be able to give you a few suggestions.

If nothing else, you could try running these software products under virtual PC until you find something for MacOS X. You called also email the Mac Business Unit at Microsoft about MS-Project. Maybe they're looking at porting it in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
MySql is a great free database sytem that is already on os x and has lots of tools and of course can be programmed from the terminal.
Dont discount it because it's free it is almost as powerful as Oracle and about 100% cheaper. You can get somefree Mysql management software too.
Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used MySQL, however I have found it lacking in a great many areas (such as triggers, custom constraint, Java stored procedures). I have found PostgreSQL to be a fantastic GPL'd database, however i digress. I was looking for the design suite, not so much the DBMS itself. ERWin is such a great product, it would be nice to see it for OS X.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
JD
MacOs X is still young it is going to be a while before a lot of programming utilities and tools are ported or developed.
At least we have oracle and now it should grow from there to a serious platform accepted by industry.
perhaps what you want already exists. on a mac platform or use virrtual PC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts