Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I use Proteus to chat with my friends on ICQ and MSN, but as of last night it has stopped working.

When it starts up it just freezes
I tried checking the developer's site ( www.indigofield.com )
but I can't connect

and it's also no longer listed on Download.com

Does anyone know what happened?
has proteus been discontinued?
Am I the only one having this problem?

I have switched back to fire in the mean time, so it seems that it's just proteus

thanks for the help

-Cam

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I was using Proteus last night and it was working just fine, however the website is down. It sounds as if their still are a few bugs (of which I haven't experienced). I would just hold tight and wait a few days, and see what happens. I just wish Proteus would remember to delete or at least update its contact list from MSN's server.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cannot connect to the site either, maybe they were hacked?

The main problem I have had with Proteus, V2 and 3 is that it WILL NOT connect to ICQ, I have tried every ICQ Server and port that I can find and it keeps connecting and disconnecting every second, never had a full connect.

I tried Fire but did not like it

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I've never had any problems with Proteus. I use it for both ICQ and MSN and it's been great. I, too, cannot connect to the site that has been listed above.

James

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmm...
this isn't looking good for me, I'm using version 2.2a16
I've never had any problems connecting to ICQ or MSN up until yesterday when the whole thing stopped working

I don't think it's getting to the point where it's trying to connect, as soon as it starts up it's unresponsive, and all i see is a beachball

I would like to download the new version and try it, but as stated, the site is down, and I can't find a place to download it from

-Cam

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Cam, you can download it from here. Let me know when you've downloaded it, so I can remove it.

James

[Edit] File has been removed. [/EDIT]

[ July 11, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: james_squared ]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys

James, Thank you very much!!
I just downloaded it and now i'm back up and running
i think i'm going to set it to update automatcially now :D

sorry it took so long before I could download it, I just got home from work

Thanks again

-Cam

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There is this wierd little feature in Proteus that needs to check with the website for updates everytime it connects. There is a hint on MAcOSXHints on how to disable this feature.

Cheers,

RtC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts