Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some more reading. I'm now finding out that people are having problems suing the DVI to VGA adapter and LCD monitors.

Mainly people with the Radeon 9000 are complaining but I think it happens on the Nvidia cards as well.

I won't be using a LCD display, just a regular CRT monitor, but any one with the newer Macs, are you having problems with your displays (non Apple ones)? Any issues with booting or waking up the mac?

I also read that Apple limits your resolution options if you use a third part display? That the max is 1024 x 768, and the three other options are all low res. Is this true? Is Apple forcing people to buy their displays, which are a little too pricey for me right now.

Thanks.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jb22:
I'm now finding out that people are having problems suing the DVI to VGA adapter and LCD monitors.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to nick pick, but don't LCDs use DVI or ADC and not VGA - LCDs are digital not analog.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe there are two types of LCD, true digital ones that use DVI and then there are otehrs that cost less and use VGA.

Either way, if you go to Apple's site to the G4 discussion list, there are a ton of people who are having trouble connecting their LCD display to their G4s via the DVI to VGA adapter.

·
Registered
507 Posts
LCD displays come in many flavors. Of these, we've seen them have the following connections:

- VGA
- DFP
- DVI-I
- DVI-D
- ADC

All but the first are digital - in otherwords, your video card outputs in a 10-bit digital signal straight onto the LCD. With an Analog LCD display with VGA, your vid card has to down-sample to 8-bit (DAC) and then send it to the LCD.

Most sub-$1000 display of nearly any viewable area (except a rare few 15" Digital ones) are all analog. Problems with analog LCDs?

- Ghosting
- Ghost-streaking
- Motion trails
- Poor Horiz/vertical viewing angles
- Low Contrast ratios and Brightness values
- Low pixel refresh speeds.

Generally, i'd avoid all Analog/VGA LCDs on the market. I've reviewed close to a dozen LCD analog displays, and they've all sucked hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts