Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
applications crash or fail printing to WIndows networked printer

I am a newbie to MACs and to the ehMac community.

I work in PC environment and use Parallels for Windows-only programs. I am able to connect smoothly to the server and use the printer from Parallels. I can see the printer (HP Color Lasar Jet 5550dn) from the MAC and am even able to successfully PING to it. However, most Mac applications abruptly crash (Preview, Firefox, etc.) if I try to print. I bought WORD and EXCEL for MAC due to other problems, and although they don't crash (WORD just did since writing this post), I am not able to print. I am not able to access the server or other compeuters on the network from the MAC, but can do so in Parallels.

Crashes happen whether conencted by wireless (Airport) or thru the built in ethernet.

I looked into this issue at Apple/support and only found an old discussion with several posters with the same problem but no solutions were posted. My IT support person advised trying this site until he was available (current medical issue).

Does any one have a solution that doesn't require specialized IT-level knowledge?

MacBook Pro, 19", OS X v. 10.4.9, 2.16 GHz Core Duo.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Hi,

hmm. I have questions that may help us clairify your problem.

What is the printer you are trying to print from? Do you have the proper drivers for it?

What do you mean by crash? Does the individual program close or does the whole computer stop working with a request to reboot?

Have you added after market RAM?

s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

hmm. I have questions that may help us clairify your problem.

What is the printer you are trying to print from? Do you have the proper drivers for it?

What do you mean by crash? Does the individual program close or does the whole computer stop working with a request to reboot?

Have you added after market RAM?

s.
The printer is an HP Color Laserjet 5550dn PSL. I am using up to date driver.

By crash, whatever software I have tried to print from crashes but the system doesn't lock up.

No added RAM.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I would try HP official support if possible. If not, I would strongly urge you to try the HP support forums. Those guys over there are point hounds (you get points for helping people out) and it becomes a bit pathetic at times. :eek: BUT, they should be able to help you out with your problem.

If not, then see if you can return the printer and get something that's a bit more compatible. Please keep us updated on what happens. It will help us help others in the future. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts