Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, perhaps someone out there has had this problem and might be able to help me out.

I have a G5 tower running 2 1.8G processors, and I have OSX 10.4.10 installed.

I have Quicktime Pro, and a HP All in one printer psc 1310.

I have both Skype and iChat.

I have tried to use my Canon Elura 40MC DV camcorder as a webcam. Every time I hooked it up and attempted to do a video chat, the program says that there is either "no camera hooked up" or that it is "in use by another application". All other applications that might be using a camera are not running, as far as I can tell.

The camcorder works fine in iMovie.

I have plugged the camera in/out, turned the chat software on/off, rebooted etc. all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as iSights are hard to come by now, and my computer works just fine otherwise!

Thanks,

nengel

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Canon Elura 40MC has the same problem

My Canon Elura 40MC has the same problem:( ,I have tried lots of method like plug the power off, change for a new Canon Elura 40MC battery, try a new Canon Elura 40MC camcorder. no worked .

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
One simple thing to check would be to make sure the camera allows you to stream video while it's not recording. That is the key to making a DV cam work with iChat.

Most do. But, there are lots that don't. I'm not sure if your 40MC allows it or not. It will usually specify this in the manual. My GF's Canon ZR900 allows it and it works fine, no software needed.

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
1)You have the camera on "camera mode" and not VCR ;) 2)Remove the tape.

It appears that if you have a tape in the camera, it assumes you mean to record tape, regardless of the firewire connection to the Mac. Without the tape, I guess it assumes you have another reason for powering up the camera, and disables auto shut-off.

Canon gear can cause problems if you're capturing to an external hard drive because their implementation of the firewire standard doesn't "play nice" with other devices sharing the same firewire bus.
Apple - Support - Discussions - Canon ZR950 MiniDV Digital Camcorder ...

"Before connecting the camcorder to the computer using a DV cable, make sure that the camcorder and computer are not connected with a USB cable, and that no other IEEE1394 device is connected to the computer."
Apple - Support - Discussions - new iMovie '08 problems -- FireWire or ...

Apple - Support - Discussions - FCP 4.5 capture issue with Elura 40MC ...

Macintosh: FireWire Issue With Some Canon Mini-DV Cameras

1 - 4 of 4 Posts