ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just purchased an Airport Extreme and I intend to use it as my router & combine it with our existing one year old Time Capsule to create a roaming Wifi network.

The new Airport Extreme (refurbished) is located in my studio/office - directly connected to our wireless broadband internet (WAN port)

Our small ethernet is connected to my iMac [mid 2010 running OSX 10.11.5] & a PC and extends to 2 other areas through an ethernet switch.

This setup runs just fine, our internet speed has improved slightly - bit better than our old T-Link router. Wifi accessible in whole house - better on one side.

The Time Capsule (2TB) is connected via ethernet on the far side of the house, provides Time Machine back-up and solid Wifi to that area.
This Time Capsule arrangement was an existing setup that ran perfectly with the T-Link before I bought the Airport Extreme.

I’ve used the Airport Utility to set everything up, and it appears to work.

The Problem Is:

With both the Time Capsule & the Extreme connected & active, the internet connection gradually slows down and grinds to a halt. - The Wifi seems to follow suit but is much more gradual.

If I turn off the Time Capsule, the internet connection is back to normal, the Wifi signal from the Airport Extreme is strong and extends to almost all areas.

I initially had problems configuring to two units, so I reset both to factory default and from that point managed to get everything working - except that the internet connection slows down. Each time I visit a different web-site, it takes longer to load/link up.

I spoke with our ISP, the link to our tower is solid. The tech suggested that I set the Wifi on each unit to use a different channel (2 frequencies & several channels each available).

So far this has not solved the problem, I will continue making adjustments.

I’ve Googled this - most answers are not up to date - usually 2012, 13, 14. and not directly related to my situation. But I will continue my search.

I would appreciate it If anyone here has any suggestions

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ pm-r

I want/need to have both the Time Machine (to back-up our old iBook, and complete the Wifi coverage of the house) and the Airport Extreme (to replace the old T-Link router and I do plan to connect my only USB drive as a shared drive)

Anyway, all is well now, I learned how to configure the unit properly & what I was doing wrong.

Both are now running fine - I'll hook up the drive in a few days.

Thanks for your interest/support

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
Thanks and glad to hear you got things working and configured properly for your use.

BTW: don't forget to double-check that things like any backups are working properly for your setup. My and some clien't's experience with Time Machine has not been something I'd trust and rely on.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Anyway, all is well now, I learned how to configure the unit properly & what I was doing wrong.
What was the issue?

I was about to chime in from the sounds of it both devices were potentially trying to be your main router each creating wireless networks and offering DHCP addresses?

Did you convert your Timecapsule to extend a wireless network?

BReligion

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
What was the issue?

I was about to chime in from the sounds of it both devices were potentially trying to be your main router each creating wireless networks and offering DHCP addresses?

Did you convert your Timecapsule to extend a wireless network?

BReligion
That would be my guess too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ BReligion & SINC

Sorry, I meant to explain what had happened but got caught up in other duties.

I ended up posting the problem on the Apple Discussions forum, and received some very good advice.

According to the member I talked with, What probably happened is that the Time Capsule was set up to extend using wireless by accident, and then when Ethernet was connected to the Time Capsule (which was expecting a wireless connection.....not Ethernet), this setup created a feedback loop. As the feedback grows, the connection slows.

He gave some very precise instructions for fixing the problem, and it worked very well.

"Temporarily, move the Time Capsule close to the AirPort Extreme
Power up the Time Capsule for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the Time Capsule for 7 to 8 seconds then release
 Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Connect a short, spare Ethernet cable....any length will do......from one of the LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Macs screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that listing, click directly on Time Capsule.* Time Capsule will appear on your screen.

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network, then display - you will see your devices and network name pictured.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the Time Capsule
 Click Next

Now watch the next screen very carefully to confirm that the Time Capsule is being set up to extend using Ethernet. This confirms that the setup wizard has picked up the Ethernet connection and will apply the correct settings to the Time Capsule

Once you have a green light on the Time Capsule, the set up is complete.*

Power off the Time Capsule and connect it to your remote Ethernet connection.* If the Ethernet cabling and switch is working correctly, so too will the Time Capsule be working correctly.

Both seem to be working 100%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts