Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After fighting with current printer today and finding that is discontinued, I am considering a new printer purchase. Has anyone used a new Kodak printer with their iMac ? I am interested because of ink prices.

Any printer suggestions are welcomed. Thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Try and look at Xerox.. they have come a long way, cost of owner ship is cheap, plus they are fully mac compatible unlike HP which drivers are a nightmare.

not to mention Xerox lasers and supplies are environmentally cautious / friendly.

·
IAMSTIG
2,680 Posts
Ink or toner? Personally I'd steer you towards a laser printer instead of an inkjet type as they're cheaper to run and the prices have come down a long way. I've had a brother multi function that's done me well and seems popular on this site...good apple support too.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Epson, Canon, and Kodak printers with respect to how few copies you can print before you run out of ink, the cost of replacing those inks, and image quality.

By far the best ink jet I've used is my current HP Photosmart C6280. It's a 6-ink, printer with separate paper and photo trays, built-in memory card reader, ethernet, the image quality is phenomenal (especially for photos) and it prints double sided. The best part is the ink value. You easily get several hundred copies per cartridge set, and a set of all six inks with 150 sheets of photo paper is only $48. I was paying $50 each for cartridges on my last Epson, and I needed a whole new set every 4-6 weeks. My kids are printing to it all the time, and I'm only on my third set of inks in over a year and a half. It was truly plug and play with my iMac too, all the computers in my house can print to it wirelessly, and there were no driver issues whatsoever.

I've read reviews that Windows people have had a lot of trouble with the software, but in Leopard, it's been rock-solid for me.

It has a built-in scanner/copier too, and the quality is reasonable for cheap at home use, but it is quite slow and only has an 8.5x11" bed. I always do my scanning at work on our Creo, it's just better at everything.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Unless you absolutely need color, get a laser printer. Ink not only runs out sooner than toner, it dries out if you don't use it often enough. That laser printer may be more expensive at first but will be cheaper.

There are color lasers too, but they're best for charts more than photos.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
You easily get several hundred copies per cartridge set, and a set of all six inks with 150 sheets of photo paper is only $48. I was paying $50 each for cartridges on my last Epson, and I needed a whole new set every 4-6 weeks.
150 pages / 48 cost = 3.12 per page ouch that is expensive..
most xerox colour lazers cost .5 to .20 per page
yield is 1000 - 3000 pages per toner...

·
Premium Member
23,462 Posts
150 pages / 48 cost = 3.12 per page ouch that is expensive..
most xerox colour lazers cost .5 to .20 per page
yield is 1000 - 3000 pages per toner...
Pssst. Check your math... ;)

·
Premium Member
20,783 Posts
It really depends on what you are going to be using your printer for.

I have two printers. A laser for text based documents and things of general use and a photo printer for well, printing photos. So, what is your primary use for the printer?

If you, like me, are going to be using it for a mixed situation I would recommend getting two. A cheap laser printer and a photo printer. Over the long run even though there is an initial additional cash outlay (but basic laser printers are so inexpensive now), with the cost of consumables (where the ink will end up costing you more than the printer over time) you end up saving money in the long run and you extend the life of both printers by sharing the work load.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not my experience at all.

I have an HP LaserJet 5000 and a HP Photosmart Pro B9180 they both play very nicely in an OSX environment. There may have been a time when what you say is true but HP have come a long way in making there products Mac compatible. :)
Speaking of which, here's an example of how things have turned around:

I have a several-years-old HP Laserjet 1012. Mac OS X Leopard works properly with it, including over an Airport Extreme.

Vista? You know, the OS that HP bases its computers on? No available drivers for the 1012. And while that printer still probably won't work in Windows 7 (haven't tried yet), there's a very real chance it will still work properly in Snow Leopard.

·
Premium Member
20,783 Posts
Speaking of which, here's an example of how things have turned around:

I have a several-years-old HP Laserjet 1012. Mac OS X Leopard works properly with it, including over an Airport Extreme.

Vista? You know, the OS that HP bases its computers on? No available drivers for the 1012. And while that printer still probably won't work in Windows 7 (haven't tried yet), there's a very real chance it will still work properly in Snow Leopard.
Hmm, I just went to HP Canada and found this: HP LaserJet 1010/1012/1015 Host Based Driver

Have you tried this? It is supposed to be for Vista.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
119,044 Posts
I am using the Canon 240 which came with my new MBP. Very good color and text, not a big footprint, easy to install, and there are only two color cartridges that are not that expensive. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
6,640 Posts
We really need the OP to state what he wants to use the printer for.

For general purpose printing in black and white - it is hard to beat the economy of a Brother laser printer, which has an entirely acceptable OSX printer driver. Stay away from "All-In-Ones" though, they have poor long term support, and not only Brother, but all of them. Forums all around are filled with complaints about such things.

For colour, I think Xerox is probably the best laser printer, since they have the most advanced printing engine, and have been used on Macs for years. You get what you pay for, and with a Xerox, you are certainly getting something that is high quality with excellent output - but at a higher cost than the systems that use the cheap and nasty waxy kind of toners.

If it is inkjet, it comes down to application. If you want archival quality printing, then something like the Epson R800 is probably the best; but if you just want colour that is inexpensive, there are a number of alternatives to look at. Lexmark has the cheapest printers, but the ink is steep; HPs usually come with a crazy system where you are dilled over if you use too much of one colour, and they feature some of the cheapest quality plastic in their paper feeling systems (this was not true of old HP stuff, that was industrial strength). Kodak has an economical system - but it also looks economical, with fairly poor printing and retrograde drivers - especially if it is "Easy Share" - which is actually worse that HP's "Photo Stupid" system. But if you want a cheap colour printer that is cheap to feed, and don't mind poor output, then Kodak is a leader.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I have a Canon MP600 (multi-function) inkjet printer which I use for photos and scanning and copying, and a Samsung ML-2851 laser printer which I use for anything B&W. The Samsung has networking built in. I've been very happy with both. The Samsung replaced an HP 2100M which had served me well for about 7 years (it was a year old when I bought it used on eBay for about twice what I paid for the Samsung!) until it abruptly died. The Canon multi-function replaced another Canon printer which is still working just fine down in my son's room. Absolutely no problems with drivers etc. for any of these printers.

Please note - if you want high quality photos that don't fade in a couple of years, you are FAR better to get them printed commercially by a good quality photo printer - unless of course you happen to own one of the high-end Epson or Canon printers with the archival inks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
samsung laser

free plug here for my venerable samsung 2010 laser printer. i only print very rarely, so laser is the way to go. had lots of dried out cartridges before i paid $100 for this b&w printer. i have been toying with the idea of a photo printer to run alongside, but i suspect that it would be cheaper for me just to get prints done at a store.
i am also wondering how many people are printing quantities of material. i find that the only regular use i have for it is to print out driving instructions and maps! ( i suppose i will have an iphone or ipodtouch one day and that will end as well...)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Go with a Canon PIXMA MP620, you can buy compatible ink with chips at a cheap price (I got a 12 cartage set for about $70 included 4 blacks and 2 of each other color) I payed $50 for the printer after the mail in rebate. It runs great and has both wired and wireless network so it dose not have to take up desk space (I have mine on a table in the basement). The price for this printer is good and it also scans and copes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.