ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant figure out how to get my HP 845C printer to print only in black. It's such a waste of colour ink to print out my bills in colour.

I looked in System Prefs, Printers, and my printer is listed, but no option to have it print only in black, tho I had the option when it was hooked up to my PC.

When I print anything I go to Print and print in Draft mode, as quick is more important than quality, and there is nothing there to set an option for just black ink.

How do I do this? Or can I do this? My computer is a G4 QuickSilver.

Thanks
Funkynassau

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
You can always set the option in the printer. I also don't have that option in the computer. I'm not sure why. Perhaps someone else in the forum can disclose the secret?
Hey CubaMark and Chas_m, where are you!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked in the Printer settings and dont see it. It's strange this option either isnt there in the first place or is well hidden.

Thanks,
Funkynassau

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
For my Canon bubblejet, there is an option on the print dialog box.
Get to the ColourSync dropdown and there's another dropdown for Quartz filter, and in there is a black & white filter (and a greyscale filter).
I think that will force it to print out using just black ink.

IIRC things like colour settings are provided by the printer drivers, and I can see where the manufacturers would want to force you to waste a lot of colour ink so they can sell more cartridges...

-Stephanie

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
Print -> Quality & Media -> Greyscale Printing is what I use...

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
Print -> Quality & Media -> Greyscale Printing is what I use...
Ah, I see this for my Canon printer. It's not there for other printers I have... I guess whoever makes the drivers can toggle which options are available for a given model.

-Stephanie

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Never mind, I found my print options in the computer. Do you have the printer icon in the dock. If so click on it, click setup, then click scan-the options are in there.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sharonmac09 - I cant find any reference to the printer other than in System Prefs > printer and in Print when I go to print something. My printer shows up there but there's nothing there to let me change from colour to b&w. Is there another place where I'd find printer info?

This printer was on my PC til I got my Mac. I was able to go into setting there and change what I wanted to change, but I dont see it on here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the karma is good, I have finally resolved this! I did some googling and got myself into a forum where someone else had the same printer and same problem. A couple of people told him to download GutenPrint drivers, which has a lot of drivers for hundreds of printers. The guy did that and solved the problem.

I downloaded it too and it took me a while to figure it out, but it sets itself up as another printer and gives the options as to how you want to do your printing - colour or b&w, resolution etc. So I did a test with a page with some black text and two colour pix and was able to print it all in colour and then all in greyscale. The options to do all of these things are buried a bit, but I will commit them to memory with use.

So, I am now very happy to have this sorted out!

Thanks everyone, and I hope someone here can benefit from info about GutenPrint.
Funkynassau :clap:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get Laser

I got frustrated with spending so much on color cartridges a long time ago. Now I only use my epson R260 ink jet for color printing and and printing on to cds. I was able to pick up a black and white laser printer by Samsung for about $150 at the time and the toner cartridge lasts a very long time.

Also check out this site:
Welcome to www.lainks.com

I was able to get great prices which make it a lot easier to accept wasting ink. There are other sites as well, you just have to look around.

2 Epson Stylus T078620/T077620 Light Magenta PN:MFC-T077620 @ $5.25 each
3 Epson Stylus T078120/T077120 Black PN:MFC-T077120 @ $5.25 each
2 Epson Stylus T078220/T077220 Cyan PN:MFC-T077220 @ $5.25 each
2 Epson Stylus T078320/T077320 Magenta PN:MFC-T077320 @ $5.25 each
2 Epson Stylus T078420/T077420 Yellow PN:MFC-T077420 @ $5.25 each
2 Epson Stylus T078520/T077520 Light Cyan PN:MFC-T077520 @ $5.25 each

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hadnt had a colour cart. in my HP in years! But then I had a reason to want to use colour, so I bought one. I can refill my black cart. myself, I get about 6-8 refills from a $30. kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you looking for good quality printers and toners at reasonable prices? We are the experts of printers and toners and can help you in purchasing of printer and toners new and compatibles. You can call us anytime and speak to our agent, and we will guide you the best quality printer and toners with unmatchable prices.

Visit our website Houseoftoner.com USA: Printers Ink, Refill & Toner Replacement, LA, CA or call us at: 1-888-748-8880

·
Premium Member
15,406 Posts
Are you looking for good quality printers and toners at reasonable prices? We are the experts of printers and toners and can help you in purchasing of printer and toners new and compatibles. You can call us anytime and speak to our agent, and we will guide you the best quality printer and toners with unmatchable prices.

Visit our website Houseoftoner.com USA: Printers Ink, Refill & Toner Replacement, LA, CA or call us at: 1-888-748-8880

It's too bad your spam didn't provide a better offer. Your prices are way too high compared to what I have been purchasing your web, your web page is hard to locate the product one wants, one has to commit to the purchasing page and order to find out what the shipping charges will be, and then find out they are more than I would want to pay.

All in all, not a potential online purchasing site I would recommend.

Maybe try better and then spam again if you insist on doing so.

Personally, I'll stay with my current Canadian inkjet supplier thank you very much, who has also figured out how to improve all the above things I mentioned above regarding your website. Theirs is a delight to use and navigate and the prices including shipping are way better.

But nice try... and here's hoping you don't bother us or any other Canadian sites again. It would be appreciated if you didn't.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 16 of 16 Posts