Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

It's been a while since I was here last but it was the first place I thought of when it came to this question. I got a new computer (5K Retina iMac 27") and because the screen size I really don't need a second monitor any more. I had the 27" Apple Cinema Display LED (non-thunderbolt version) as a second display to my 21.5" iMac and they worked great together.

I would like to have a second monitor but I don't need one so big, so I wondering if I could get some feedback on what you think it might be worth.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,667 Posts
I'd say some of the prices some are asking for those units is absurd and out to lunch, but you should be able to get a better idea by checking what price some have actually sold for, i.e.:

apple led cinema display 27 in Monitors | eBay

For a real base line, I see apple.com is selling a refurb unit for $699.00usd.
Refurbished Non-Thunderbolt Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple

Regardless, they are still six year old units and with then matching technology which has generally improved with more recent displays so I'd suggest one would need to do some comparison pricing for what one can purchase a newer higher end display for these days.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Tough call. Are you a designer or do you dabble in web dev?? If the latter, I would just hold on to it. There's something special in being able to test on a x2 and x1 display at all times - unless you haven't sold the smaller iMac*.

Otherwise, you're getting rid of it just over size?? What are you scaling down to? For a comparable quality monitor, you might end up spending just a touch less than you'll get from selling it and buying a new one. I would also hold on to it in that case as well. I will seem excessive at 1st, but it's a fantastic set up: I had the same @ work, and loved all 7680px it provided.

ppl are asking for a small fortune on kijiji, but i have no idea if they're selling or not.

* If you still have your iMac, you can try using it as a 2nd monitor - in target mode. Makes for great savings if you do still have it. A win win of sorts.

good luck.

H!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Completely useless smartass answer.
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.... I'll give you $50 :)

BReligion

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I can't use my 27" Apple Display with the 27" iMac because together they are physically too big for my desk and although I would prefer to keep it and use it I can't.

When I posted the thread I thought the 27" iMac screen would be fine as it was for screen real estate but I found that I need to have a second monitor because I access my desktop a lot while working to access working files and folders. I ended up buying an older 20" LED Apple Cinema Display to access my files without having to close apps on my screen to get them. I'm finding the 20" works perfectly for this (once I made a custom shelf to raise it up to an appropriate height).

I might just hold on to it for a while, I think it would make a great monitor for any other system I might end up getting but I'm definitely not selling it for $50

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thread update.

After some interest shown in the monitor I decided to sell it because in reality it would just sit on my other desk forever, looking good but not being used. I advertised it on Kijiji.ca and it sold for my asking price in less than a day. For those who want to know what I got it was 5 times BReligions "offer".

·
Registered
807 Posts
lol I sure as heck hope you don't think that was anything near an offer.... that was the about the equivalent of saying I will give you a coffee for it :)

Congrats on your sale. I love Kijiji..

BReligion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts