Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2.49 - Well you know, those foreigners are gagging for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, given our Mayor's musings on ITMS going North, what would be a good price that would let you beat Steve's best customer (what was it, US$27,000? :eek: )...

Go on, warm up these little plastic rectangles! :D

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Given the recent trajectory of our dollar, perhaps ITMS might even be able to sell tracks in Canada for .99 cents at par, without taking a loss.

·
Registered
187 Posts
shhhhh! $.99! Come on it could happen! With Puretracks.com $.99 Canadian it would be nice if iTMS matched to be competitive..

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I think $.99 makes the most sense. Although - it just may spawn an industry based iTMS gift certificate speculation: snapping up iTMS gift certificates in Canada and selling them off in the US for a profit while undercutting the US iTMS price. People do all knds of crazy things to make a buck. But iTMS still makes the sale. Perfect.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually, what's to say it couldn't be equal to or less than $0.99? I would assume it would depend on what deal Apple makes with those who own the rights in Canada to the songs.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Actually, what's to say it couldn't be equal to or less than $0.99?
What's to say? Marketing. Great for Apple if they manage to swing a deal where they pay their supplier less than in the U.S. But don't expect those savings to be passed on to the consumer (that's the free market for you)...the 99-cent sticker is an important part of the appeal of this product, so I expect them to keep it.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Hey congrats, Kosh, on becoming a super citizen. Sure are a lot of you guys around now!
Thanks, it took a lot of hard work. You'll be a super citizen too, soon.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I wager 20 quatloos that the price for we Canucks will be $1.99.
I'll see you those 20 quatloos and raise you 10 that we either see .99 cents iTunes, or not at all. Two bucks a track is outta whack.

Quick! Cue the Star Trek fight theme

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I think doug gardhouse has the right idea. Apple's prices are always more than expected, and we seem to always get hammered by some parallel dimension exchange rate to which only Apple is privy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
'Course Canada'll get reamed...... Apple's in the Canada reaming business ;)

We're right next door and have alway supported them as a user base and time and time again........right in the butt. :D (i supported them for 10 yrs)

The sad part is, doesn't matter what they charge, people will pay it.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Because with the amount of price fluctuations that would cause, no one would buy music steadily. everyone would be waiting for that magic day the CDN dollar overtakes the US dollar. That, and we have a separate economy with separate pricing levels.

Honestly I am nit sure what to expect. $1.29 sounds about right, but considering that a CD which costs 15 bucks here in Vancouver costs 15 (or as much as 20) bucks in Washinton state, I'd say that 99 cents could happen too.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
considering that a CD which costs 15 bucks here in Vancouver costs 15 (or as much as 20) bucks in Washinton state, I'd say that 99 cents could happen too.
I'd have to say they will be on par with 99 cents. I wouldn't buy songs for more than that. As PosterBoy said, CD's cost 15 bucks. So if you do the math, a $2 per song download would cost more than a CD. Plus you would have all of the artwork, liner notes etc to boot.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The maths are a bit different for three reasons:

You need to compare like for like, that is cost of a complete album on ITMS v. each song

Front versus back catalogue, particularly for those albums where there are only a couple of worthy songs

Sales tax. Only the US remains tax-less online

For these reasons, my vote goes (regretfully) to $1.99...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I seem to recall that it's a pretty common practice in Europe to post all-inclusive prices (i.e., incl. VAT). While it certainly is convenient, it never really caught on in North America. I'm assuming that's behind your rationale for the $1.99 sticker price...but that would be an astonishing increase relative to the trading value of Euros and Pound Sterling, wouldn't it?

This is an interesting problem that Apple faces...

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're right, Apple posts all its European prices tax included as only business-to-business transactions are quoted ex-tax.

If you think that ITMS-Canada would post ex-tax, then I would suggest $1.49 as the most likely.

(by the way, I see the US dollar dropping further, but long term there are no structural reasons for both currencies to evolve towards par. 0.65-0.75 it has been for 20-odd years and unless Canada decides to outstrip the US in terms of productivity for the next 20 years, you won't see the Loonie above the Eagle.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Boy wouldn't adopting a universal North American currency make all of this so easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts