Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I came across someone selling a PowerMac G4 today and was wondering what its worth. It apparently has a 400MHz sawtooth, 512MB of RAM, OSX Tiger installed (but no discs), 16MB ATi Rage video card and a 40GB 7200rpm hdd.

I really am not sure what I should offer for it. What would be an acceptable asking price for this machine? Also, is there anything about its standard config that I may not know.....like wireless, expansion slots...etc. How upgradable is it?

Thanks,

D

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Sawtooth is a Nice Mac

If you are picking it up locally no more than $100. $60 would make a pretty nice bargain.

It is a nice Mac. I paid $350 400 Mhz. Sawtooth, smaller HD 10 gig and 378 Mb of ram if memory serves, for one locally in July 2005. I bought a G4 350 Mhz. Yikes model locally on ebay for $75 in early fall 2006.

Both still working well. The Sawtooth was the first of the Mac line up, "designed" to work with the future OS X. It's a dual boot Mac if that's important to you. Works really well in OS 9.

Mac are hard to come by in our end of the country so it's a hard call to make.

Hopes this helps. :)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Agreed with BigDL. I wouldn't offer more than $150 for it, local pickup.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
$120 is very fair - don't listen to the nonsense that passes for market assessment around here.

The ram alone is worth that much.

Apple does not make power supplies for these anymore so there is strong demand.

They are decent machines. It's a bonus if it has 10/100 on board.

Can go to 2 gigs of RAM ( but pricey )
Up to 2 x 120 internals
any burner level.

easy to upgrade if you come across a cheap processor.

Weakness
video card
tendency to blow power supply.

Be careful if you are thinking of it as a first time machine to go to Tiger.
Things will add up tho it has enough ram and drive already - first thing to do is grab another cheap drive and clone the puppy to keep your Tiger around.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It's a bonus if it has 10/100 on board.
No 'Sawtooth' Power Mac G4 came with built-in Ethernet in a lesser form of 10/100Base-T, so it's not really a 'bonus.' (if you're referring to 10/100 to the built-in Ethernet, which I'm assuming you are.)

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
That should have read 10/100/1000 gigabit..can't recall if they were still sawtooth or gigabit designated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts