53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Price Check: 13" macBook late 2008

I bought this I believe December 26th 2008:

13" Aluminum MacBook
Processor: 2GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

It's a base model (I'm pretty sure)

I've looked around on ebay and whatnot and can't seem to find any comparables.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I have a friend interested and we're trying to figure out a fair price for the both of us.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. I appreciate you taking the time.

I would say the condition is at least a 9/10. I take care of my stuff. Plus I will be putting in a new battery for it as the current one is pooched.

I love that everyone here is so helpful :)

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
If you are planning on selling it soon I wouldn't bother with the new battery as you likely won't be able to get that much more for it. Batteries are about $140 + taxes, and it wont affect your resale by that much. Sell it with the week battery and let the buyer worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
If you are planning on selling it soon I wouldn't bother with the new battery as you likely won't be able to get that much more for it. Batteries are about $140 + taxes, and it wont affect your resale by that much. Sell it with the week battery and let the buyer worry about it.
+1. New battery won't impact resale much.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
I just sold a PowerBook Pismo, in which I'd replaced the daughterboard, RAM, hard drive, clock battery, Airport card... all easily accessible in a minute or two.

Additionally, the batteries and DVD drive were hot swappable.

So maybe not "ever" ...

Should be easy to unload - I have one. Fabulous model - easily the most user-accessible Mac laptop ever in terms of swapping out the hard drive, memory, battery...

Full specs from EveryMac.com

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
+1. New battery won't impact resale much.
You can get 3rd party batteries on-line for that Macbook for about $70, I helped a friend get one last year . Comes with a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FWIW, I wouldn't buy a laptop with a 3rd party battery. Even at $70, still not worth the investment.
When all of the batteries are manufactured in china. And the way the chinese counterfeit. I would lay odds that the 3rd party battery probably comes from the same factory. Just saying.

The person interested is taking a pass so I'm not in a rush now. Might just hang on to it afterall.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
FWIW, I wouldn't buy a laptop with a 3rd party battery. Even at $70, still not worth the investment.
When all of the batteries are manufactured in china. And the way the chinese counterfeit. I would lay odds that the 3rd party battery probably comes from the same factory. Just saying.

The person interested is taking a pass so I'm not in a rush now. Might just hang on to it afterall.
Exactly!!! Apple takes a huge profit off of the exact same batteries because they are "branded"... anyone who buys branded batteries is a sucker... Don't get me started on camera batteries where the camera manufactures are some of the worst culprits...

Don't do it!!! Get "3rd party" (the exact same battery without the branding) every time... This is the same game Apple plays with RAM and Hard Drives... you pay a premium for EXACTLY the same thing just because it has the Apple name on it....

I'm surprised JC would make a post like this, completely unsupportable in fact... just pure bias and "fanboyism" IMO.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Exactly!!! Apple takes a huge profit off of the exact same batteries because they are "branded"... anyone who buys branded batteries is a sucker... Don't get me started on camera batteries where the camera manufactures are some of the worst culprits...

Don't do it!!! Get "3rd party" (the exact same battery without the branding) every time... This is the same game Apple plays with RAM and Hard Drives... you pay a premium for EXACTLY the same thing just because it has the Apple name on it....

I'm surprised JC would make a post like this, completely unsupportable in fact... just pure bias and "fanboyism" IMO.
I can't speak for JC, but I've personally seen third party batteries that are absolute junk and nowhere near the Apple battery quality. Including third party batteries that literally didn't even fit properly in their slot because the dimensions were wrong. Even their colour was off so especially in white MacBooks, the battery on the underside looked off. To each their own, but those factors alone to me are deal breakers.

Some of my customers come in with these batteries and buy a genuine Apple one after expressing regret on cheeping out in the first place for all the reasons I mentioned above - not to mention other issues such as poor run time and poor performance just months after purchase.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
I can't speak for JC, but I've personally seen third party batteries that are absolute junk and nowhere near the Apple battery quality. Including third party batteries that literally didn't even fit properly in their slot because the dimensions were wrong. Even their colour was off so especially in white MacBooks, the battery on the underside looked off. To each their own, but those factors alone to me are deal breakers.

Some of my customers come in with these batteries and buy a genuine Apple one after expressing regret on cheeping out in the first place for all the reasons I mentioned above - not to mention other issues such as poor run time and poor performance just months after purchase.
That echoes my experience exactly.

I'm not saying the Apple batteries aren't overpriced. I'm just saying the third party ones are lousy.

Also, you can't compare the batteries with components like hard drives and RAM.

Both RAM and hard drives are industry standards, and have no proprietary components, design, connectors, or shape. The Apple batteries have all 4.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts

That echoes my experience exactly.

I'm not saying the Apple batteries aren't overpriced. I'm just saying the third party ones are lousy.

Also, you can't compare the batteries with components like hard drives and RAM.

Both RAM and hard drives are industry standards, and have no proprietary components, design, connectors, or shape. The Apple batteries have all 4.
The Chinese are notoriously good at replicating (stealing) proprietary technology and mass producing it....

To each their own as Lars says. I have been using 3rd party batteries since the early 90's going back to my video production days in video cameras, still cameras and laptops.

So long as you buy from a reputable 3rd party provider who provides at least a 1 year guarantee (often you can get 3 years) and you are buying the correct part (one must make sure that it is in fact an equivalent part) my experience is that you are fundamentally getting the same battery minus the branding. I have never had any issues in 20 years of using 3rd party batteries and the savings are unreal in some cases.

Case in point, a branded replacement battery for my Canon S95 $50. Third party replacement that I bought before going to Mexico in February $7. So I bought 3 for less than half the price of one branded battery and they hold their power every bit as long as the branded battery and look exactly the same in every way minus the Canon name being on the label.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I have had the same experience with batteries for the 15-inch MBp as Lars and JC, and that after pretty careful research for a friend of mine who didn't want to pay the Apple price.

The replacement battery doesn't last as long as the original Apple battery and the fit isn't as good either.
But it works adequately and the price was only about one-third of the Apple price, so he is happy.

But the exact same battery it's not.

Actually, it would be a "service" to eMac members if people posted their experience with replacement Mac batteries - I like to save a few bucks but I also don't want to buy junk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.