Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a White Macbook Core Duo (1st generation model) with 60gb HD, 512mb, BT 2.0, AEX, etc with box, charger, and OSX cd's from a local seller. I have already seen this machine in person and it's perfectly mint. Now he's offering a price of around $850-$900 CDN (no tax). I'm wondering whether this is worth it? I just saw the new Macbooks released this morning and was wondering if it would drive down the value of the 1.83 Macbook? Is $850-$900 too high for this kind of Macbook?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
That seems about right, price-wise. But bear something in mind, since it only has 512 megs of RAM (and that means it's likely loaded with 256MB x 2), a memory upgrade to 1GB will require that you either purchase a 1GB stick or go with 2 x 512. Also, this system runs incrementally faster with RAM in matching pairs.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I think those machines are going to drop in price pretty quickly. (unfortunately, I have one myself, so I may not get much $$$ if I want to sell).

I'd say wait a week or so (if you can) to see where the prices settle out to for the Apple refurbs and discontinued for the Core2's and the Core1's on the refurb website.

·
Registered
954 Posts
They were selling for $799 at the AppleStores (refurbs/discontinueds) with 1 year AppleCare when the Core2Duos came out last fall.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were selling for $799 at the AppleStores (refurbs/discontinueds) with 1 year AppleCare when the Core2Duos came out last fall.
I wish we had an Apple retail store in Ottawa so I could advantage of deals like this :-:)-(

·
Registered
954 Posts
If I see any deals in the next week or so, I will let you know. It's a quick drive from Ottawa to Laval, especially to save some serious coin. Too bad they don't have the deals this week, I will be in Ottawa on Sat-Sun. I could have brought you a Macbook and taken your MBP off your hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.