Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preview under OSX 10.2.8 can open .pdf files in a fraction of the time that the latest Adobe reader can even launch and even faster than Adobe 5.05.

Can anybody tell me how to make "Preview " the "default" progamme to open .pdf files that are downloaded from the net. Of course if you open Preview and then open the .pdf file it uses Preview but I want Preview to be the default program to open "read me" and other files in .pdf. Mail seems to default to this but Eudora 6.0 is my mail program of choice at this point and time .

Any suggestions
Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
contol click shows a menu with Acrobat 5.05 as the default and preview down several more choices Clicking on preview does indeed use that to open the .pdf file but only for that session . How do I get it to become the default . we are closer than before but not quite yet to the finish line thanks for your help so far

·
Registered
223 Posts
Select the file then press "command i" or choose Get Info from the Ctrl-click list.

Under the heading "Open With" you can set what application you want to be default for opening those type of files.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mike warren that seems to have solved my problem and I can go back to Adobe 5.05 at some future date if i have to

The forum here is just the best that it can be.

1000's helping a single member with a problem that may indeed be just mine. If it is not then hundreds benefit from the knowledge of many

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Panther Preview is a huge improvement when compared to Adobe's bloatware, Reader 6. Loading time is a fraction of what it used to be with Reader and this becomes quite noticeable when working with big documents. Easily one of my top-five favourites in Panther. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts