Which operating system do you prefer?

• Mac OS X

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After posting these statistics, which show what people are using, I thought it might be neat to figure out what people like to use. I'm sure some who uses Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6 are doing so out of necessity, not choice!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Given previous discussions about Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, I'm surprised that so many (so far) prefer Mac OS X. I'm not surprised about Safari's popularity, though!

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
The issue with 9 versus X is often not by choice but necessity.
X just isn't ready for some things even tho many would prefer it was.
:confused:

That's why it's hard to get some X users to realize that 9 users aren't stick in the muds about new things - but that their workflow does not allow X yet.
Just about everyone is in agreement about he future --- just not when it should arrive :D

Wouldn't the poll be more reflective if you had both
currently use
prefer

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I agree David, but I believe that if you answer (as I did)
"prefer OS 9"
AND
"prefer Safari"

that would get across the point you are trying to make

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
macdoc,

I guess I've gotten the impression that there are a fair number of people that use Mac OS 9 out of preference, rather than necessity (especially after seeing these numbers). This poll (and your comments) have shown me my impression is incorrect.

I'll try not to think of OS 9 users in the future as people who use stone knives and bearskins.

As for asking what people currently use, wouldn't the statistics I generated yesterday answer that question reasonably well?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow... Both OS X and Safari have taken a sizeable lead right now (over 80%!).

As for the question of whether to switch or not, indeed it comes down to personal choice (whether dictated by needs or desires).

There is no question that OS X has gaps to fill (Quark Xpress being a huge gap for many people I've noticed) since unless they change to an alternate application, like InDesign, they are stuck waiting for an X-ified version of Quark that has not yet arrived.

The choice to switch will also be governed by hardware. If I was still on a 6100, I doubt I'd be switching anytime soon. But being on a G4 allows you the option (except recently for the X-only systems released this year)

OS 9 is very solid, but is yesterday's OS in Apple's eyes. OS X is tomorrow's OS, available today, but still needing to grow and expand.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
When MacOS 7 came out and systems would not boot System 6, everyone complained. System 7 was slower, not compatible, and they prefered the clean interface of System 6. Somehow, they got over it.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
And your point is??
System 7 was perhaps the worst OS ever inflicted on Mac users and no one ever really "got over it" until the guys doing OS8 saved Apple.
Seven was the longest running worst collection of patches and fixes that could be created by some Kafkesque programmers.
The first rendition with PCI 7.5.2 was simply unusable for 6 months until 7.5.3 came out.
I still have nightmares about that transition for Nubus to PCI with 7.5.2 :( :mad:
OS 4.2 and OS6 were models of clarity and they worked. Lets hope X isn't a 21st Century OS7.

If you are comparing X to 7........heaven help us.

Bring on OSXI ..........soon.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I only uses OS 6 {don't remember the version} for about a month before jumping to OS 7 and the upping to 7.5.5 came so quickly that I don't recall many stability problems. Might be rose tinted hind sight, but I used 7.5 for years, foregoing OS 8 for the most part. I used 8.5 briefly before jumping to OS9...

Everyone has their favourite versions, some sentimentally, some technically.

What I find suprising is the difference between people who prefer OSX and those who prefer Safari... I wouls have thought those # would be closer.

Also, people who frequent these boards are more likely to upgrade and change rapidly than the average user {most of whom I've talked to don't know there are other browsers other than IE and Netscape.....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,499 Posts
Macdoc, I have to chuckle when I read what you wrote re OS7 ("System 7 was perhaps the worst OS ever inflicted on Mac users and no one ever really "got over it" until the guys doing OS8 saved Apple.). I recall at the time I owned my last Mac (an LCII with OS 6), people in "the know" at MUN on Mac matters all urged me to upgrade to OS7. I never did, and to add insult to injury, our dean at the time would not pay to have my LCII upgraded to allow for internet connection (which had just started) and refused to fix a cracked motherboard on the only other Mac utilized in our faculty. I was given an old 486 box, then a used IBM and then an IBM Aptiva. I was asked that since it was 3 years ago if I wanted a new IBM, and I asked for a Mac. "We only have a lease for IBM computers" I was told. Sad. Still, by Bastille Day, I shall rejoin the "bright side".

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Yup, I'd sure LIKE to use OSX and all its appurtenances, but 8.6 does everything I NEED. Besides, the upgrades I'd have to make to my hardware, while drool-worthy, just aren't justifiable, at the moment.

The day will come, though, and then I'll have my precious........
bwahahahaha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts