Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
41 - 60 of 429 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Ah.

So in that case, Apple is relying on people to be honest when purchasing the $35 of $199 box set copy of Snow Leopard. ;) Similarly, the single user version of Mac OS X can be installed on an infinite number of machines. People who buy the Family Pack for more money are simply being honest.
Wow, that's putting a lot of faith in users. I mean $35 is a heck of a lot cheaper than $199 especially in these tight times.

I have Tiger on my iMac, and was going to buy the Mac Box Set (or find a cheap retail Leopard and upgrade from there).

·
Registered
586 Posts
I suppose it's because of the multitude of MS upgrade paths and releases that would check for the previous version in the retail "upgrade" box (that's usually much cheaper than the "full" version). Given the pricepoint of Snow Leopard and the statements out of Cupertino, that's certainly what I was expecting - hence my question above.
MS only keeps software keys on file for 30-60 days and then the software can be installed again without a problem, also if you ever forget a Windows XP key it can be found in a text file on the disk some ware (it is easy to find if I had a disk handy I would tell the exact location) this is if it is not on an ugly sticker stuck some ware on the ugly windows box.

Apples upgrade pricing is also cheaper than that of MSs which also encourages people to take the honest road, the family pack is less than two copes of the single mac package.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Apples upgrade pricing is also cheaper than that of MSs which also encourages people to take the honest road, the family pack is less than two copes of the single mac package.
Exactly!
When I feel I get my money's worth I don't mind paying.
With the full version of SnowLeopard at $35.- I think I get more than my money's worth - that's why I was asking what the great new features are.
Are there any?
At $35.- one hardly expects any.

As I understand it:
Two options - full retail version that will install on any Mac that meets the requirements - $35;

Or, if you bought a Mac after a certain date, an upgrade version that requires that Leopard is installed on the Mac that you're upgrading - $13.-

Question is - if you need to reinstall the $13.- version, do you need to reinstall leopartd first?

It's pretty self evident that you don't with the retail version at $35.-

I like Lars' explanation about reinstalling the second $13.- version - makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I as I have been aware, the $13 and $35 version are basically the same. The person just needs to fill out the forms etc to save the extra cash. So technically they are both upgrade discs. I am hoping it turns out they are the same as the full version. Too bad the upgrade discs don't work like the MS's Vista upgrade ones where you just install it twice for the full functionality.

Since Snow Leopard is just an enhanced version of Leopard, if it cost more than the $35, I would probably just skip the upgrade. Since it is $35 I am upgrading for the hope of greater efficiency of operation etc.

By the way when does anyone think that 10.7 is coming out? Maybe early 2011.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
?????????????
I am hoping it turns out they are the same as the full version. Too bad the upgrade discs don't work like the MS's Vista upgrade ones where you just install it twice for the full functionality.
Mac OS upgrade disks always give you the identical and full functionality of the full retail version - the only difference is that you need to have the earlier version of the OS on the Mac you're upgrading.
Apple doesn't play all these idiotic games with umpteen versions of the OS that MS does.

By the way when does anyone think that 10.7 is coming out? Maybe early 2011.
10.7? Does that release even have a "cat identifier" yet?

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
It's awfully early to say, but I would guess that Apple will be taking a bit of a "break" after 10.6. Having gotten out an OS that is still years ahead of Windows "7", there's certainly no rush for 10.7. I'd guess at minimum two years from now (pointing out that the gap between 10.5 and 10.6 was just two months shy of exactly two years).

I mean, when's the outlook for Windows "8"? Given their history, I wouldn't expect to see it for another four years or so.

PS. If they were to stick to the "big cat" naming convention, let me see: they haven't used Lion, Ocelot or Cougar. After consulting Wikipedia, I learn that Clouded Leopard is another "big cat" but I really can't see them using that. :)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Well here is something kinda crappy for a pre-order.

Apparently Apple and/or myself had made a mistake on ordering snow leopard.

When ordering Snow Leopard I had selected a the family pack. After reviewing my cart with the snow leopard family pack at $59, I also decided to order iLife for my girlfriend (she currently has 06). Since I am able to order through the educational store, I ordered iLife for $89 (single pack).

After this my cart totalled $148, I had to sign in, selected a payment etc... and I believed that from here on out that everything was fine.

Well here is big mistake on my part, I didn't really pay attention to the reciept I recieved from apple, except for checking to see if the items have already shipped. The problem is, somewhere between the verfy stage in the checkout and the reciept stage, the order was somehow changed to the single pack? Not sure how, but also my billing address was also changed, with something about "C/O Carbon Computing"?

I am sure this is mostly my fault. Either way, I had to phone them and they will have to email me a label to return it. Weird part is I was unable to cancel any items even directly after ordering it (wasn't trying to, but was not an option)... So I am now considering just going to the store for this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
There are one or two kinks in the ordering system. I had two macs I was trying to qualify under the up to date program but the system made me do them on two different orders, at first it let me add both to my cart and then when I went to check out only one made it through the process.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
all mine says is not yet shipped so im guessing mines not coming tomorrow :( and i pre-ordered it on the 21st

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I pre-orderd a family pack on Monday morning and around 5:30 tonight got the shipping notice. Somebody else I know pre-ordered a couple days later and also got his notice today.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I ordered mine on the 25th and it is still not yet shipped, hopefully it will ship soon.

·
Registered
586 Posts
wheres it shipping from??? china or the us???
All of the Apple software that I have gotten that don't come packaged with the original system have been made in the USA.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For U.S. residents, Apple has stated in e-mail newsletters, and on their site, including the Online Store that of you pre-ordered by Wednesday, it would be delivered on Friday. In Canada, all Apple states is that it will ship by Friday.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So how do we know MacWorld is actually correct?
This statement from AppleInsider says MacWorld is wrong"

Wired also confirmed that they were able to upgrade a system directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. In addition, it is possible to completely erase a hard drive and install Snow Leopard without a pre-existing operating system in place, enabling users to bypass the possible headaches of an upgrade and go with a clean install instead.

BTW - the comment refers to the $C35.-/$C13.- Snow Leopard disk - that isn't clear in the part quoted.

41 - 60 of 429 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.