Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 40 of 429 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Snow Leo for a buck!!!

So let's see here..........................

Given I need iLife & iWork '09...... $99 each ($89 edu store) = $198 ($178 edu) :rolleyes:

Box set (full SnoLeo + iWork + iLife) = $199 :rolleyes: .... either retail or edu :rolleyes:

Given what I have to buy anyway I can have a complete install version of the OS for $1 or $21 if I go through the edu store (I'm legit for it).

The crippleware SnoLeo version - which, keep in mind, is going to require me to have a valid Leopard installation every time I need to use it which in the future given the occassional need/want of a "clean" install is going to be a drag and a time leech,.......... and installs ONLY the OS - costs $35..... :eek:

In the words of Homer, "Doh!!"

I'm ordering a 'box set'.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
i pre ordered snow leopard, will it ship on the 28th?? or will it get delivered to me on the 28th??

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So let's see here..........................

Given I need iLife & iWork '09...... $99 each ($89 edu store) = $198 ($178 edu) :rolleyes:

Box set (full SnoLeo + iWork + iLife) = $199 :rolleyes: .... either retail or edu :rolleyes:

Given what I have to buy anyway I can have a complete install version of the OS for $1 or $21 if I go through the edu store (I'm legit for it).

The crippleware SnoLeo version - which, keep in mind, is going to require me to have a valid Leopard installation every time I need to use it which in the future given the occassional need/want of a "clean" install is going to be a drag and a time leech,.......... and installs ONLY the OS - costs $35..... :eek:

You're not really saving any money ordering the 'box set'

I bought iWorks and iLife at $C 69.- each from an Apple retailer; plus $C 35.- for the full OS is still less than $C 199.-

But your post brings up a good question.
What happens if you have to reinstall the upgrade version of Snow Leopard for any reason? Do I have to reinstall Leopard first? That would be a pain.
Do I need to reinstall T

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
i pre ordered snow leopard, will it ship on the 28th?? or will it get delivered to me on the 28th??
In both of the earlier posts it state4s "Ship BY the 28th"

To me that says it will ship on or before the 28th - so you may get it on the 28th if it ships early or after the 28th if it ships on the 28th.

Is there anything really compelling with Snow Leopard that would make people upgrade sooner rather than later?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I guess you don't have to order it!
Show your displeasure with your wallet!
lol
:lmao:
You know - when I first read through this thread I thought - why is Apple only charging $C 35.- for a new OS?
I would have gladly paid the $C129 or $C 99 if Apple wants to give Canadians a break - after all, we're the first country with a penetration rate in the two digits.

Just really irks me if anyone expects me to pay a 30% premium because I pay with Canadian dollars - it's the principle, not the three bucks.

And showing my displeasure with my wallet?
Well, I doubt if Apple would even notice that I decided not to buy Snow Leopard. :D

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Is there anything really compelling with Snow Leopard that would make people upgrade sooner rather than later?
Uhhhhh.... :eek:

But, but.... it is the latest, newest, best-est, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum... Isn't that enough reason for you! This is ehMac! Some of us need to be the firstest with the mostest..... It's a fix, man. Cheaper than heroine.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just ordered the Snow Leopard Box Set. I'm looking forward to any improvements I might get with SL and with a new version of iPhoto. I'm not sure if I'll use iWork since I already have the full MS Office, but who knows, if it is better, then maybe.:)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I bought iWorks and iLife at $C 69.- each from an Apple retailer; plus $C 35.- for the full OS is still less than $C 199. T
Would you be able to share where you got iLife and iWork at such nice prices?

I also noticed that my order has already been prepared for shipment, as stated by my order status. So I wonder if it could be delivered by the 28th?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Do I have to reinstall Leopard first? That would be a pain.
Do I need to reinstall T
No.

If you have 10.6 installed, and your OS becomes damaged/corrupted to the point where it needs to be reinstalled, the 10.6 installer will see you have 10.6 already on your drive. No need to reinstall 10.5 first. The only time you would need to install 10.5 first, is on a fresh, OS-less hard drive. Then, you would need to install 10.5 first, and then 10.6 thereafter.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts

"Doh" is right on!
Clean install = Only the OS

also you'll find that at a later date when you need this clean install, Snow Leopard will be quite content to start the reinstall after it finds a valid install of SL.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can't remember where I read this recently, but I believe that the $35 disc is defaulted to an upgrade disc, but that through disc utility on the install disc, you can in fact opt for a clean install or an archive and install.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
No.

If you have 10.6 installed, and your OS becomes damaged/corrupted to the point where it needs to be reinstalled, the 10.6 installer will see you have 10.6 already on your drive. No need to reinstall 10.5 first. The only time you would need to install 10.5 first, is on a fresh, OS-less hard drive. Then, you would need to install 10.5 first, and then 10.6 thereafter.
Thanks - that's great news!

In that case, I'll guess I'll splurge and cough up the $13.- :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's a question:

Does anyone know if 10.5 will continue to be sold by resellers after Friday? Anyone know of any discounts? I'm on 10.4, I've been waiting to upgrade, but $200 for the box set just doesn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
See, that's what I thought too... but MacWorld's review states:

Macworld.com said:
the standard version of Snow Leopard is a bootable “full install” disc that doesn’t actually check for the presence of Leopard in order to install. This also means that if, at a later time, you want to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard, you won’t have to first install Leopard and then run a separate Snow Leopard upgrade on top of it. (That sound you hear is a thousand IT managers sighing with relief.)
Source:
Review: Snow Leopard Review | Mac OS X - Page 1 | Macworld

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
See, that's what I thought too... but MacWorld's review states:

Source:
Review: Snow Leopard Review | Mac OS X - Page 1 | Macworld
Ah.

So in that case, Apple is relying on people to be honest when purchasing the $35 of $199 box set copy of Snow Leopard. ;) Similarly, the single user version of Mac OS X can be installed on an infinite number of machines. People who buy the Family Pack for more money are simply being honest.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So how do we know macWorld is actually correct?

I find that statement rather strange:
the standard version of Snow Leopard is a bootable “full install” disc that doesn’t actually check for the presence of Leopard in order to install.

Isn't that true for any standard version of any previous Mac OS?
I have used a standard Tiger retail disk to bring an OS 10.2 Mac up to 10.4 without having to go through 10.3

·
Registered
145 Posts
So how do we know macWorld is actually correct?

I find that statement rather strange:
the standard version of Snow Leopard is a bootable “full install” disc that doesn’t actually check for the presence of Leopard in order to install.

Isn't that true for any standard version of any previous Mac OS?
I have used a standard Tiger retail disk to bring an OS 10.2 Mac up to 10.4 without having to go through 10.3
I suppose it's because of the multitude of MS upgrade paths and releases that would check for the previous version in the retail "upgrade" box (that's usually much cheaper than the "full" version). Given the pricepoint of Snow Leopard and the statements out of Cupertino, that's certainly what I was expecting - hence my question above.

21 - 40 of 429 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.