Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
yea i know its fore free i got my mac aug 15th so yea.. BUT ONLY ONE I wanted to get a few more so i could sell some to my friends =[
It would be quite illegal to order a bunch of cheap "Up to date" discs for only one qualifying system and resell them to friends.

Apple states that you can only have one $10(USD) up to date disc. Your friends can order their own Snow Leopard Update Discs for $35 CAD from Apple.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
If you have 10.6 installed, and your OS becomes damaged/corrupted to the point where it needs to be reinstalled, the 10.6 installer will see you have 10.6 already on your drive. No need to reinstall 10.5 first. The only time you would need to install 10.5 first, is on a fresh, OS-less hard drive. Then, you would need to install 10.5 first, and then 10.6 thereafter.
See, that's what I thought too... but MacWorld's review states:

Macworld.com said:
the standard version of Snow Leopard is a bootable “full install” disc that doesn’t actually check for the presence of Leopard in order to install. This also means that if, at a later time, you want to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard, you won’t have to first install Leopard and then run a separate Snow Leopard upgrade on top of it. (That sound you hear is a thousand IT managers sighing with relief.)
Source:
Review: Snow Leopard Review | Mac OS X - Page 1 | Macworld

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
So how do we know macWorld is actually correct?
Basically the only way to know is to wait till the retail version ships to people on Friday (or people buy it on Friday) and we see if this report holds up.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Bah this ticks me off. Why did I order back in July if it's gonna get to me DAYS after people who pre-ordered like just last week! Grrrr.... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Well I guess mines not coming today :( Its almost 6pm and it says not yet shipped...
Hopefully I can get it monday

did anyone get theres with apple saying it hasnt shipped yet?
I've also ordered through Apple, and mine still says "not yet shipped" either. And I ordered on July 7th :(

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
My UTD disk still hasn't arrived either. :(

The shipping notification said that it was shipping Canada Post/Purolator which makes me think it was shipped by Canada Post. Who knows when it will arrive.
+1 - C'mon snowwie!

We need to start a thread for all us UTD disc orderers who got shafted by Apple and are waiting FOREVER it seems for our discs to arrive ;)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Wow, this seems like a wide-er spread problem, eh? At least we all have each other to commiserate with on ehMac. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I bet the UTD Disc will be different than the Retail Leopard. Apple usually has a different "CPU Drop In"-type Disc for OS updates and iLife Updates. :S

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Sad but true I fear. I guess Apple doesn't care enough about Snow Leopard Up To Date purchasers to send the disks by a shipping method that's quick and reliable.
Or even trackable it seems. Fingers crossed that we'll all get our discs tomorrow (it is a Tuesday after all... ;) )

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Just got off the phone with Apple - without me even asking they are couriering me a new SL copy to arrive tomorrow or Friday. Hey - they messed up (or more likely Canada Post did) but at least they're fixing it!

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
They are trying to gip us again!
What are you talking about? They are sending us another copy ASAP (Expedited) that many of us have already received and it's a full retail, not an "UTD Disc" which ships in a brown sleeve according to those in the US who actually got them...

I think Apple is doing a great job handling what is apparently a shipping company/border issue.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Yet Another bump for this thread - lookie what I got in the mail today!

Now what to do - I have a Retail Leopard and a UTD Disc. Should I sell the Retail Leopard?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Are you guys getting your UTD disc or the retail one?
It took forever to receive our UTD discs, so Apple considered them "lost' and couriered over Retail Snow Leopard discs. Now we're all receiving the UTD discs we ordered in the mail, albeit two weeks too late.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
One says "Upgrade" right on the disk. The retail version doesn't. I'm not sure if there are any other differences beyond that. (my guess is not, but I haven't tried both so I am not sure)
The UTD disc also has a check to make sure there's Leopard somewhere installed where the $34.99 Retail disc doesn't check at all.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.