Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Apple accepted my upgrade request online. The system was purchased in July from Carbon Computing Ottawa. I only had to provide the serial number, the store name and the date of purchase to the website. Easy.

Harvey
What actually showed up on line?

I bought a refurb MacBook Pro on June 18th.
When I go into the Apple store for Snow Leopard, it shows up as "Standard shipping and handling" AND free shipping at a price of $13.00.

Ships by Aug 28th.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Beating a dead horse with this discussion. ;)

Apple doesn't simply convert American funds to Canadian funds based on the current exchange rate. There's more to it than that.
I was just surprised to see $13.- pop up since all that is mentioned in this thread is $10 US.

What doesn't make sense either is the comment that the $C13 is for shipping & handling and then right below it, it states that shipping is "free".

Seem to me that Apple is becoming as sloppy as some other sites when they program their web site - nobody seems to ever check if the end result makes sense.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So let's see here..........................

Given I need iLife & iWork '09...... $99 each ($89 edu store) = $198 ($178 edu) :rolleyes:

Box set (full SnoLeo + iWork + iLife) = $199 :rolleyes: .... either retail or edu :rolleyes:

Given what I have to buy anyway I can have a complete install version of the OS for $1 or $21 if I go through the edu store (I'm legit for it).

The crippleware SnoLeo version - which, keep in mind, is going to require me to have a valid Leopard installation every time I need to use it which in the future given the occassional need/want of a "clean" install is going to be a drag and a time leech,.......... and installs ONLY the OS - costs $35..... :eek:

In the words of Homer, "Doh!!"

I'm ordering a 'box set'.
You're not really saving any money ordering the 'box set'

I bought iWorks and iLife at $C 69.- each from an Apple retailer; plus $C 35.- for the full OS is still less than $C 199.-

But your post brings up a good question.
What happens if you have to reinstall the upgrade version of Snow Leopard for any reason? Do I have to reinstall Leopard first? That would be a pain.
Do I need to reinstall T

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
i pre ordered snow leopard, will it ship on the 28th?? or will it get delivered to me on the 28th??
In both of the earlier posts it state4s "Ship BY the 28th"

To me that says it will ship on or before the 28th - so you may get it on the 28th if it ships early or after the 28th if it ships on the 28th.

Is there anything really compelling with Snow Leopard that would make people upgrade sooner rather than later?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I guess you don't have to order it!
Show your displeasure with your wallet!
lol
:lmao:
You know - when I first read through this thread I thought - why is Apple only charging $C 35.- for a new OS?
I would have gladly paid the $C129 or $C 99 if Apple wants to give Canadians a break - after all, we're the first country with a penetration rate in the two digits.

Just really irks me if anyone expects me to pay a 30% premium because I pay with Canadian dollars - it's the principle, not the three bucks.

And showing my displeasure with my wallet?
Well, I doubt if Apple would even notice that I decided not to buy Snow Leopard. :D

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
No.

If you have 10.6 installed, and your OS becomes damaged/corrupted to the point where it needs to be reinstalled, the 10.6 installer will see you have 10.6 already on your drive. No need to reinstall 10.5 first. The only time you would need to install 10.5 first, is on a fresh, OS-less hard drive. Then, you would need to install 10.5 first, and then 10.6 thereafter.
Thanks - that's great news!

In that case, I'll guess I'll splurge and cough up the $13.- :D

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So how do we know macWorld is actually correct?

I find that statement rather strange:
the standard version of Snow Leopard is a bootable “full install” disc that doesn’t actually check for the presence of Leopard in order to install.

Isn't that true for any standard version of any previous Mac OS?
I have used a standard Tiger retail disk to bring an OS 10.2 Mac up to 10.4 without having to go through 10.3

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Apples upgrade pricing is also cheaper than that of MSs which also encourages people to take the honest road, the family pack is less than two copes of the single mac package.
Exactly!
When I feel I get my money's worth I don't mind paying.
With the full version of SnowLeopard at $35.- I think I get more than my money's worth - that's why I was asking what the great new features are.
Are there any?
At $35.- one hardly expects any.

As I understand it:
Two options - full retail version that will install on any Mac that meets the requirements - $35;

Or, if you bought a Mac after a certain date, an upgrade version that requires that Leopard is installed on the Mac that you're upgrading - $13.-

Question is - if you need to reinstall the $13.- version, do you need to reinstall leopartd first?

It's pretty self evident that you don't with the retail version at $35.-

I like Lars' explanation about reinstalling the second $13.- version - makes a lot of sense to me.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
?????????????
I am hoping it turns out they are the same as the full version. Too bad the upgrade discs don't work like the MS's Vista upgrade ones where you just install it twice for the full functionality.
Mac OS upgrade disks always give you the identical and full functionality of the full retail version - the only difference is that you need to have the earlier version of the OS on the Mac you're upgrading.
Apple doesn't play all these idiotic games with umpteen versions of the OS that MS does.

By the way when does anyone think that 10.7 is coming out? Maybe early 2011.
10.7? Does that release even have a "cat identifier" yet?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
So how do we know MacWorld is actually correct?
This statement from AppleInsider says MacWorld is wrong"

Wired also confirmed that they were able to upgrade a system directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. In addition, it is possible to completely erase a hard drive and install Snow Leopard without a pre-existing operating system in place, enabling users to bypass the possible headaches of an upgrade and go with a clean install instead.

BTW - the comment refers to the $C35.-/$C13.- Snow Leopard disk - that isn't clear in the part quoted.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
If it was shipped by Canada Post then it must have shipped from Canada.
Normally it takes 4 - 5 business days, so this item which for me was shipped on the 28th of August wouldn't arrive until the 3rd or 4th of September.

I take it nobody opted for express shipping at $13.- additional.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I wonder from where in Canada Apple shipped that.
A package a bit bigger than the one from Apple was shipped yesterday by regular post from Toronto and arrived today.
But no sign of SnowLeopard which was supposedly shipped a week ago tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Just got an email from Apple with a request to fill out a survey about my recent shopping experience:

Thank you for your Apple Online Store purchase! Tell us what you think.
I'm sure everyone else will get that too - Apple would probably wish they had never sent that out.

Although - I'm not really upset, my SL disk was going to sit around here anyway - I just didn't want to forget to order it before my 90 day time limit is up.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
*It is Apple's policy to leave surveys open for 5 days to help ensure the experience was recent when taking our survey. This survey will close 5 days after this invitation was sent.*
This is a lot better than Via Rail.

They send you a survey a month after the trip with all sorts of detailed questions.
I have probably taken a couple of more trips since then and don't always remember in great detail what happened on each one.

PS - why do I actually need the disk to complete the survey?
They are asking about my shopping experience not my installation experience.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
If it is shipped via Canada Post instead of Purolator then the transit time is anyone's guess.
Mail within Ontario and Quebec has taken as little as one day and as much as seven (business) days.
From out West or out East it takes longer.

Mail was already delivered for me today - Monday is a holiday, no mail, so the earliest for delivery would be Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I just filled in Apple's shopping survey for my not yet delivered UTD.
At least they know I'm not happy.

Harvey
Thanks for reminding me.

One positive thing about that delivery issue - makes it easy to fill out the survey - no judgement call to make where delivery satisfaction falls on a range of 1 to 10 - it's a solid "1" = poor

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.