Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of various opinions over OSX, I just wanted to give recognition to the fact that I have not had one single crash since installing OSX almost a year ago. I had one kernal panic (is that what it's called), but that was soley due to my negligence in removing a CF card. Great stuff, Apple! Totally stable!

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Me too. The System has never crashed, although apps have on occasion. They screwed up here and there with Panther's release, however and, given the fact that Apple has a controlled hardware platform to support -- and we PAY for their major upgrades -- they should have run Panther through some more flaming hoops before unleashing it upon the public.

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
I've only used it for several hours myself, but I did manage to get System Prefs to crash -- with the help of beta software of a screen saver (SnowSaver I think it's called) which no doubt had a lot to do with it.

I did an archive and install last night -- took approximately 45 minutes but was up and running in literally no time -- all my settings for Mail and such were carried over. I was amazed that Panther took right over as soon as the install was done and my custom desktop wallpaper popped into view. Wow.

The interface feels almost as snappy as OS 9, which is a big help when using Illustrator and Photoshop!

The boot time is pretty quick, not to mention I launched Medal of Honor in almost half the time it used to take with Jaguar.

Exposé is a crowning achievment -- and it doesn't overpower the user. I'm sure M$ will steal the idea... to which, I'm sure, Mac users will refer to them as an X-poser (or Exposeur).

All in all I'm very impressed.

·
Left The Building
8,376 Posts
Ditto, ditto, ditto here. I am impressed too. Panther is running perfectly on my G5 Dual (which is a dream in and of itself). Panther is quick, stable, and satisfying to use. I think Expose is great - it's useful, it works, and is just plain neato.

The only problem I had with Panther can be seen here. And in the end it's not that much of a problem, really. It may have existed in Jaguar but I never noticed.

·
Premium Member
7,114 Posts
Doug:

I see you found a solution to your desktop problem.

The best way to get around it without worrying about using the stretch or fill options is to make sure the background picture is the exact size as your monitor resolution (i.e.: a monitor set at 800x600 should use a picture of equal dimensions).

Now, of course, you could always use a slightly smaller picture and stretch it to fit -- since it will take less memory than a larger one, but you'll get pixelation and that's not a pretty thing -- drives me nuts when I see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.