Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pertaining to the Apple press release that "PowerSchool (R), the leading web-based student information system (SIS) for K-12 schools and school districts up to 10,000 students" has a new version, does anyone have any direct or indirect experiences with this system in Canada? A principal of a local school contacted me and asked me my opinion of this system, but I have no other source of info other than what Apple provides on their websites in the US and Canada.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am amazed that no one has any first-hand or vicarious info re Apple's PowerSchool in Canada. I can obtain all sorts of info from US sources, but there must be someone who has some comment re this SIS.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Dr.G.

I checked with a friend, who works in the B.C. school system and who is very knowledgeable about everything Apple, and he writes:

"Yes, I've heard of it, but believe it to be in the US only. At least I have not heard of it being used here.

I believe it is a comprehensive system, not just record keeping, but parent communication, homework help, etc."

Not much help I guess.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pras, actually, that was helpful. I have yet to come across a Canadian citation for this SIS, so maybe it is only for the US. Pity.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the URL, Kosh. This principal knew that I was interested in a Mac, and wanted to know my advice. I shall pass this on to him. Merci.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Not long before PowerSchool was bought out by Apple, I was fortunate enough to see a demo from the calgary based PowerSchool rep. I haven't seen a recent version but I thought it had some serious potential to make inroads in to the school Information systems market. Especially when it came to pricing versus Chancery and SIS

It was web based so teachers could update marks and do report cards in a "secure" inline environment. It also had a "secure" web site where students and parents could check on homework and letter grades. Attendance was also online. If I remember correctly report cards could be done on an html template.

I'll have to check around my old stuff to see if I kept the brochures

kami

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Kami. I figure that any way to keep the home/school partnership active is a positive step, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PowerSchool in Canada

PowerSchool is an awesome SIS and a fraction of the cost of some others and could be adapted to the needs of Canadian schools. I am surprised to learn it hasn't been marketed there.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bogdanoves, do you know of any specific school boards that are using PowerSchool here in Canada?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts