Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to run a large PowerPoint presentation (170 slides / 106MB's) on a new MacBook with 1GB of RAM. There is also a 200MB sound file (AIFF) that plays with the slides. Performance seems very poor. I watched the first 10 minutes (of 22 minute total) and then it bogged down and the music stopped. I have done lots of presentation but not so large. I'm showing this at a wedding on Saturday and need it to run properly. I should have used iMovie. Are the performance issues related to Rosetta? Any suggestions on how to make it run better and work properly? I was thinking of making it in two parts. Any suggestions really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I have also found serious performance issues with all MS Office apps on my Macs, including PowerPoint. And that's with small files with no multimedia.

One option might be to run the slideshow in Keynote, which does a decent job of opening and converting PPT files. I don't know how complex your slideshow is, but with a little tweaking in Keynote, it should work.

Another option would be to run the slide show in Windows if you have BootCamp installed on your MacBook. Powerpoint is pretty snappy in Windows.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would convert the AIFF file to an MP3. That would shrink it by about 10x. Also look at the resolution of some of your pictures. If you are sending to an external monitor, you don't need the high res pictures. A good JPEG will look the same on the screen. Big files will bog down powerpoint- keynote as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would convert the AIFF file to an MP3. That would shrink it by about 10x. Also look at the resolution of some of your pictures. If you are sending to an external monitor, you don't need the high res pictures. A good JPEG will look the same on the screen. Big files will bog down powerpoint- keynote as well.
I know I was having problems with a powerpoint slide show where I hadn't compressed the images/aduio, however when I imported it into Keynote, it ran clean as whistle.

Worth a try at least...

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
If what you are doing is a slide show don't overlook iPhoto. Quick and easy. Again reduce images to about 2000x1500 pixel JPEGS and convert your AIFF file to mp3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts