Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I have to get in on the action.

I started with a 5200CD

Considered a PowerPC, and I am sure a number of people are still using them.

This is the Clubhouse for you!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Heart - The G3, G4 and G5s are all considered PowerPC processors.
Or are you refering to the 601 series of PowerPC processors?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Me too! My first Mac was a 5200, I still have it as a hybrid: 5200 with 5400 Mobo. Pink screens occasionally and a very loud fan.

·
Registered
16 Posts

My first Mac was a PPC 6100/66AV. It still works. I keep it around for Fontographer only. That works pretty sweet with two monitors! The ONLY problem with that is transferring files to a new mac. It HAS to be over a network connection. Not Floppy, Syquest, Zip drive, CD, wireless usb device... ethernet is my only common denominator.

Is there an adb to usb adapter I wonder?!? SCSI to usb? Parallel to USB?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
My first Mac was a PPC 6100/66AV. It still works. I keep it around for Fontographer only. That works pretty sweet with two monitors! The ONLY problem with that is transferring files to a new mac. It HAS to be over a network connection. Not Floppy, Syquest, Zip drive, CD, wireless usb device... ethernet is my only common denominator.

Is there an adb to usb adapter I wonder?!? SCSI to usb? Parallel to USB?
Hmm it is possible to burn files and such to a CD. Keep an eye on your local second hand store like a Goodwill. The one out by us just had a few SCSI Yamaha CD burners in SCSI cases for $5-$10 the expensive one was still in a box with all it's cables.

I picked up a USB Zip drive with power supply that works fine on my G5 for $5 the other day. The SCSI Jaz drive I have that was being tossed out at work has a SCSI to USB adaptor though this is not the Centronics 50 or DB25 but the UW version (think that is what it was called or it might have been SCSI II).

At home I started on an LC with 12" colour monitor and Stylewriter which was 'on sale' new for $2500 at the time. When I outgrew it, it became a BBS for several years until it was replaced by a IIsi and hurdler card.

I still have all this stuff....... :D

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
my first power mac was a 6100/60, then a 6100/66. Then a 7100/80! My First mac was a used and well loved Plus from Value Village in 1996. THat is what switched me to the mac!:love2:

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I had a 6100 I really loved, upgraded it to a G3 eventually. Moved up to a 7300 (NICE machine!). We still have an iBook G4 that's currently in for repair, and I had a snow iMac G3 700Mhz for a couple of years as well.

I love the Intel line, but there were a number of great PowerPC Macs.

And a number of crap ones, too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mac Classic Color

My first mac was a Classic color, then came lc and then the lc 630, then mp 266 and boosted to a dp 1.8 G5 ppc. All still running and still using them for old games except for my G5 of course. But all running :clap:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I have to wonder what prompts new members to go six years back to raise a thread from the dead, this one being from 2003?

Isn't there enough current material to read without searching that far back, or failing that starting a new thread?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
That would be ideal. That's a medium both generations could read and write.
You might find these on eBay as well the one's I'm seeing around here are the Yamaha 4x4x16 cd/rw drives. If you don't mind the look you could also mount the bare drive in your 6100 since it has the cables already installed if you don't have a CD and if you do you can take off the faceplate and put the burner in where the CD was. Some of the prices on eBay seem to be out of touch with reality so if you can find one at the Goodwill.....

I was using Toast with these drives under OS 9.

Did find a USB to ADB adaptor in my mix of junk it is a std ADB plug on one end and flat rectangular USB on the other. Of course there is no make or model name on the darn thing that I can see though I suspect Keyspan is possibly the manufacturer. I honestly don't know what you could use it for other than a keyboard since a USB key or drive would not be supported on the ADB bus.

Did the 6100 have a parallel port? I thought it was ADB, two din geoports for AppleTalk and Printer, the funky all in one monitor port that only worked with specific AV monitors without the adaptor to DB-15 and SCSI.

Kevin

·
Perpetually Caffeinated.
179 Posts
No Mac, at least, no PPC-based Mac from Apple that I know of, shipped with a Parallel Port*; the other poster must have mistaken the SCSI port for a PC-standard Parallel Port.

*I'm pretty sure that some of the later-era CHRP-based clones from Motorola like the StarMax 6000 which were just being shipped or close to shipping status before the clone era ended had PC-standard Parallel, Serial, and PS/2 ports.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
No Mac, at least, no PPC-based Mac from Apple that I know of, shipped with a Parallel Port*; the other poster must have mistaken the SCSI port for a PC-standard Parallel Port.

*I'm pretty sure that some of the later-era CHRP-based clones from Motorola like the StarMax 6000 which were just being shipped or close to shipping status before the clone era ended had PC-standard Parallel, Serial, and PS/2 ports.
I was thinking that as well.

None of the Clones I own have parallel ports but I haven't seen a 6000 and my Starmax 3000 does have PS/2 ports for a keyboard and mouse so anythings possible.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I have to wonder what prompts new members to go six years back to raise a thread from the dead, this one being from 2003?
They're just getting caught up. ;)

Isn't there enough current material to read without searching that far back, or failing that starting a new thread?
So let's set a precedent right now. In fact, I'll start a poll in the "Everything Else" forum. Vote here.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My first Macintosh was my IIsi in 1991, which I received for Christmas. I remember being disdainful of Macs before that, but I was quite impressed with System 7. I used that through High School and into University, until I got enough money to buy my beige G3 desktop soon after they were introduced in 1997. That was my first, and only, PowerPC Macintosh, and one I continue to use to this day. If I buy an iMac sometime before Spring, I'll own a Macintosh with every processor type ever used; Motorola 68k, PowerPC and Intel x86. Kinda neat, I think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first Mac was an LCIII in 1993. Other Macs I've owned or still do are....A powerbook 180c, Quadra 900 (found sitting on a dumpster!:D ), and a p.o.s Performa 6200. That 6200:mad: pissed me off at apple so much that I refused to buy another Mac until I fell in love with my current Macbook pro 15".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts