Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Apple has finally answered the call of the power users.

New PowerMacs have been introduced this morning:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/

A choice of a single 1 GHz, dual 1.25 GHz or dual 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processors with prices ranging from US$1,499 to $2,699. The new line also features FireWire 800 and has internal support for 54Mbps AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth wireless networking. The single 1 GHz Power Mac G4 and the dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 are available now, while the dual 1.42 GHz Power Mac G4 will be available starting next month.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Drool, drool!

Then there's the price reduction of the 23" Cinema Display... Where's my credit card?

John

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Mmmm...sweet! You will also notice that the 22" display is history (news to me anyways).

The display line is now 17", 20" and 23" HD!!! Drool!!! :eek:

Too bad I cannot afford one.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
WOOT! 1.42 GHz G4s! FireWire 800 + bottom-end G4 being 1 GHz, niiiiccceee!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I wonder why they dropped the SuperDrive from the low end PowerMac models? Also I guess Apple realizes that OS9 isn't quite as dead as they would like it to be.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Interesting - in the apple store page for powermac there is a link on the right, "Mac OS 9 Systems", with the old high end models.
(looking at the US site)
Man, those are deep price cuts on the monitors.
Glad I sold my powermac already, even though it's painful waiting for Mini-P.
Adobe has updated Photoshop 7 for better G4 performance, so we should see some great new test results with dual 1.42 GHz.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
WOW... talk about a BIG quiet announcement. They just quietly announce a BIG price decrease, speedbump, 4X Superdrive (on top model), and the addition of firewire 800 and airport extreme and bluetooth compatibility.

Man, if I was shopping for a new PowerMac, I'd buy... hmmm, I have some money in the bank and I could sell my dual 800...

Watch out, I noticed some of the Apple Canada site hasn't been updated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So what do I buy? The 1ghz is a good price & I could add the Superdrive, etc. etc and have a nice machine ----or does one pay a few hundred (gasp! did I say that?) more and get the 1.25ghz? Do I order the 512 ram or buy aftermarket? What about the superdrive --is it really worth the extra $$? Or, one could always buy a used dual 800 or 1ghz if the price was right. Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Single 1GHz low-end model = BLAH. Apple took a step backwards. Last gen 867 MHz dualy's much more appealing -- it's at the same price too at $2399 (CPUSED).

$3199 for a 1.25 GHz dualy's damn nice though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if you want a dual 887MHz you should get it NOW...they've DROPPED the price to $2399 which is the same price as the new 1GHz solo PM

the dual 1GHZ are 3199 and dual 1.2 3999 - these have superdrives

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dual 1.42GHz, now thats my kind of Mac!. Even tho I have no money, and a crappy PC at home I wish I could afford one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
does the dual 1.42 come standard with a fire extinguisher?

i thought the heat sink on the 1.25's was big.
i can't wait to see the ones on the 1.42's.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
What kind of cpu is in the new 1.42 model , is ita revised overclocked version of the 1.25 or is it a new G4?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Argimou:
So what do I buy? The 1ghz is a good price & I could add the Superdrive, etc. etc and have a nice machine ----or does one pay a few hundred (gasp! did I say that?) more and get the 1.25ghz? Do I order the 512 ram or buy aftermarket? What about the superdrive --is it really worth the extra $$? Or, one could always buy a used dual 800 or 1ghz if the price was right. Advice appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're using OS X, I'd go Dual.

If you're going to buy from Apple Online - get the least amount of RAM you can and buy RAM cheaper elsewhere.

If you're going to use the Superdrive, get it, otherwise get a combo drive.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Pretty ho-hum updates if you ask me.

Why is it that Apple is so wishy-washy about the CPUs? First they were single and duals, then all duals, now they're back to single and dual. I wish they'd make up their minds!

This can't look good to the PC bigots.

Its pretty clear their milking hte G4 for all its worth before they release a new CPU sometime this year. Let's hope this new PPC970 chip puts us back into the performace loop.

Have you seen the CPU specs page on the PowerMac site? The only mention of the Pentium is on the internal pipeline. Apple has even removed all references to performance comparisions in their little chart. I think they realize the G4 has lost its steam compared to a 3Ghz P4.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you say screwed?? ;) If I'm one of the people that just went out and bought a new G4 a couple of months ago, I'm friggin' livid. This is the kind of crap that Apple does to it's users. Is there any logical reason that they couldn't have skipped the stinky upgrades from the last show and waited for these?? Yes there is. Because they know that Mac people will suck up anything that they throw at them. :rolleyes:

Oh, and nice benching guys.... That's pretty funny. :D A Dell....hahaha Apple's finest against Dell's what? Hahahaha...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts