Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'VE BEEN WORKING WITH A MDD POWERMAC THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS AND I CAN'T SEE WHY PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NOISE. IT SEEMS QUIET ENOUGH TO ME; YOU JUST HAVE TO RAISE YOUR VOICE A BIT WHEN YOU TALK TO OTHER PEOPLE.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

CAN'T BE MUCH LOUDER THAN THIS DELL LATITUDE CPI/A LAPTOP I'M WORKING ON - I'M AFRAID TO TURN IT ON DURING MEETINGS.

P.S. I THINK IT'S REFRESHING TO SEE PEOPLE SHOUTING IN THEIR POSTS ONCE IN A WHILE.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
<H1>
Huh, what??? Im always using my dual 1,25 and isnt hurting my hearing any. Eh? Oh, its five thirty! I just turn it on to drown out the thunderstorms, and punk rockers practicing next door. Huh?... no thanks Im trying to cut down!
</H1>
Seriously, its no louder than any other Pentium 3 machine, and maybe quieter than some . I have a pretty average sounding unit, Im happy. THIs machine should be my workstation for the next 4 years.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funny thing is I've also got a dual PIII on my desk (a Dell Precision) and it's noticably quieter than the PowerMac. Bleh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Put one of those nosiy things into a very quiet recording studio (like, say I did...) and you'll find its a touch noisier than is acceptable, and given how quiet the previous obes were...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use my mac for recording and upgraded the fan/power supply on my mmd dual 867 in the Apple fan exchange program. http://depot.info.apple.com/generic/#announce

I was very glad I did. It made a huge difference - well worth the few bucks for shipping. It is quieter than the G3 b & w I have running in the next room. Unfortunately the official program ended on June 30th, 2003. You might contact Apple to see if you can still purchase the kit. Or maybe someone out there knows where to get them now???

·
Registered
223 Posts
Question:

How do these three powermacs compare when it comes to noise levels:

Blue & White G3 450

Dual 1.25 G4 MDD (the "new" ones)

Any G5

(seeing as I use my G3 in a recording environment, I'm curious whether any of my potential upgrades with raise or lower the ambient noise level)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
actually the dual 1.25 is fairly reasonable, about as quiet as most modern machines, though noisier than the blue and white G3s or Graphite G4s

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
At least you people don't have this monolith in your office running at 60 db.

My MDD is whisper quiet compared to this. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Micro42 brought in his Dual G4 1.2 into the office and I could hear the thing over the other 6 Macs in the department all I could think about was that it sounded pretty close to a 747 :eek:

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
THe G5 noise is pitched so low that it's unobtrusive thanks to the very low speed of the fans.

The current 1.25 dual is noisier but nowhere near the "wind tunnels" of the first gen MDDs

B&W G3 is fairly quiet but the mid range pitch of the noise makes it seem about the same noise as the g5 but I suspect it's quieter in dB.

Here's why the G5 is BIG :eek:

"Water cooling is also effective for reducing the volume that is a key factor in heat dissipation. For example, Hitachi Cable Ltd offers a module equipped with a small radiator sized 8cm x 8cm x 3cm, which is capable of water-cooling a device dissipating 100W of heat at a noise level of 33dB (A). On the other hand, Apple Japan Inc, adopting an air cooling system, implements not one but two huge heatsinks sized 16cm x 15cm x 9cm to cool two microprocessors estimated to emit a total 100W or so of heat inside its Power Mac G5 Series PC, "M9032J/A," on a noise level of 35dB (A)."

35dBa wow.
But of course the Cube is 19 dBa :D so yes the G5 is noisier but the pitch is right to be tolerable.

If someone would like to volunteer their time and a db meter and mike we'd be happy to run some "noise" tests on various models.
I'd like to see the level and pitch curves for the different machines all taken from a similar seating position.
I alos know if my G5 was on the floor instead of purring in my ear on the desk that perceived noise would be lower. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts