Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up this morning to find my G5 with a steady bright white light, as if the sleep light was at its brightest, and frozen. Tried a simple reset by holding the power button, no response. Tried unplugging it for about 5 minutes...also no response....as soon as its plugged back in, the light is right away back on.

Any idea as to what happened or how I can fix this?

(So convenient that this happens to my work computer on a weekend and not on a weekday...!)

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Imac or tower?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Try the PMU reset. Report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This worked for me too

Thanks for this very useful tips ...
I love Mac's and how easy it is to recover, from what in a PC would have you pulling out hardware etc for hours:)
Does anybody know the reason why this may occur though?
In my case, the machine has not been powered on at all for 1 month, could this contribute to this fault?

Cheers

·
Hacker
620 Posts
Thanks for this very useful tips ...
I love Mac's and how easy it is to recover, from what in a PC would have you pulling out hardware etc for hours:)
Does anybody know the reason why this may occur though?
In my case, the machine has not been powered on at all for 1 month, could this contribute to this fault?

Cheers
Maybe it just needs a reset once upon a time...

·
Registered
56 Posts
my issue it kind of similar, but with a macbook.
and instead of just a white screen, when i turn it on i do get the apple logo, and the box that says "loading mac os x" with the blue bar. it'll load all the way, but when it gets to the blue screen, instead of going to my desktop like it should, it seems like it keeps trying, but always fades then flashes back to the blue screen. and this will keep happening repeatedly every minute or so. its stuck there and never ends up loading to my desktop.
its been happening for 3 days now. i've tried rebooting it tons of times, i've charged it fully, and i've taken the battery in and out, it does nothing.
do you think restarting the SMC will work??

·
Hacker
620 Posts
my issue it kind of similar, but with a macbook.
and instead of just a white screen, when i turn it on i do get the apple logo, and the box that says "loading mac os x" with the blue bar. it'll load all the way, but when it gets to the blue screen, instead of going to my desktop like it should, it seems like it keeps trying, but always fades then flashes back to the blue screen. and this will keep happening repeatedly every minute or so. its stuck there and never ends up loading to my desktop.
its been happening for 3 days now. i've tried rebooting it tons of times, i've charged it fully, and i've taken the battery in and out, it does nothing.
do you think restarting the SMC will work??
You might need to do a software restore-but that deletes everything from your hard drive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread but I'm in dire need of your expertise oh great PPC gods of ehmac!

I just purchased a late 2005 PowerMac G5 dual core 2Ghz G5 machine. Like the host of this thread I've installed PC-4200 (3 pairs of 512MB ram - 6 chips total - loaded from the inside out). I have 2 hdd & some NVidia card

Keyboard is the USB 2.0 flat Apple extended keyboard (same that ships with current systems).

Pressing the power button results in a solid white light, no sound - no OS - and no fans spinning.

Worried that I got a dud? :( please help.

This machine would go into full use either for the kids - something more powerful for photoshop and homework (daughter is older than my son) or as a server.

PS: I've already reset SMC and PRAM. nothing happened.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
So it was working at some point?

Start by removing all peripherals and then begin testing the RAM. Remove all but two matched chips at a time, then reboot and see if bad RAM is the culprit.

·
Premium Member
16,083 Posts
As Macfury says, try his suggestions.

If you're not even getting any sound during a cold boot, then that G5 isn't even passing it's Mac OS boot process checks.

I can't recall if those G5's needed a firmware update if anything of it's original hardware or even software got changed drastically.

And as Macfury asked, did it boot when you first got it???

And also disconnect any connected peripherals other than the Apple wired keyboard and mouse.

Did you try using the Safe Boot (shift key held down) or even a single user boot (command+s) or verbose boot (command+v) methods during a cold boot from a shutdown state?

·
Registered
241 Posts
So it was working at some point?

Start by removing all peripherals and then begin testing the RAM. Remove all but two matched chips at a time, then reboot and see if bad RAM is the culprit.
Wow it's been a few months and a new apartment move. Figured I'd give this beast a try. I have matched pair of 512 MB of RAM six in total. Of these pair some R1RX8 space PC 2-4200E (or 4200U) 444 – 12. I followed your device and removed all RAM. It turns out that he using my Hynix 4200 E failed to boot just white solid power button LED. I then decided to replace it with that Samsung RAM 4200U, and guess what? One gigabytes to match pairs of 512MB boots!

What sucks is no keyboard, mouse or LCD lol. But it's progress. I'm wondering if this 4200E is faulty or error correction which is not supported. I'll reply in a few days to see if this FW imaged HDD will boot into Leopard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.