Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably already been asked, but why are the prices on the powermac g4s still expensive ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's the pricing structure of the mac desktops.

Price it in the $1200-1400 range Apple would kill their emac/imac sales, IMO.

-sb

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...but with those prices, are they selling any powermac g4s....and also the imac and emac come with a monitor and r still cheaper

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
QUOTE:
G4 towers are very expandible and you are paying for OS9 boot capability. From what I hear... G4 sales are still significant.
/QUOTE

Actually, they've only sold about 8,000 of them this quarter.

Are you talking resale or new? I'd say that the reason the prices are still hanging in there is because you can still run Mac OS X and apps quite comfortably. they hold their value that way, rather than how a PC needs more and more upgrades as the OS evolves. I use OS X on a G4/450 100MHz front-side buss EVERY DAY ALL DAY and it works fine for the most part. imagine being HAPPY running XP on a 400MHz P4 (which they never made that slow, but you know what I mean).

Also, depending on the type of functions you do, a dual G4 can sometimes beat a single G5. Also, keep in mind the other components in the Powermac, which would definitely contain Firewire, and probably also have a DVDRW drive.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I think the prices for a new G4 at ~$1750 is pretty reasonable (for single 1.25Ghz) & $2250 for a dual when you consider what the prices were pre G5. When peole post their G4s for sale here I calculate what it would cost to upgrade to an equivalent new one and the new one is cheaper almost every time! plus you'r egetting faster ram and FS Bus

My $0.02

I just wonder how much longer they are going to be available as I want to get one next year
<edited for fat finger spelling>

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any exact figures on G4 sales, and my sources are heresay... But Steve Jobs Announced the "Death of OS 9" at Mac World 2 years ago {I think}.

"All new Macs will be OS X only. he said...

Well, there is obviously still some demand...

It would be better if everyone could "Just Move On". I hate needing to reboot in 9, but so many of my games are 9 only and OS X Panther does not always see the CD in Classic...

Quark 4, PS 6, Illy 9, and Acrobat 5 are all OS9.
I have new versions at work but untill I upgrade my home licenses.... I have other things to pay for right now...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
G4 towers are very expandible and you are paying for OS9 boot capability.

much to Apple's dismay, that is still a needed option...

From what I hear... G4 sales are still significant...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts