Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G3 blue & white, that simply Refuses to boot from the CD. I know the drive is not at fault - I've swapped it with a Powermac G4 MDD and the CD drive works fine. The drive works fine also, when the G3 is already booted. I can put cds in and read them and there is no trouble at all. But if I put in my original Panther disk and try to reboot with the C key pressed, it doesn't work. If I go into System Preferences and select the Panther install disk, it allows me to do this. Then when I restart, i get the blinking ? ontop of a folder for a few minutes, then it boots from the hard drive.

Does anyone know of anything that could cause this? My only guess is that the various CD drives I have tried are all 52x and maybe they're too fast for the G3.

That's all I can think of.

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome!

G3 specs:
400MHz blue & white
640MB Ram
120GB hard drive (master)
80GB hard drive (slave)
52x CD-ROM (master)
250MB Zip (slave)
OS X.3 Panther

-Stephanie

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
This is just a guess, but it might be due to using a CD drive that doesn't have an Apple ROM.
The B&W G3's were made in the OS9 days. OS9 would not boot from a CD drive that didn't have an Apple ROM. OSX supports almost all CD drives for normal operation, but that may not include booting on your machine. Your MDD may have boot support for non-Apple CD drives in the computer ROM/Firmware, whereas the B&W may not. Is your B&W firmware up to date?
And then again, I might be right out to lunch on this.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Rob said:
This is just a guess, but it might be due to using a CD drive that doesn't have an Apple ROM.
The B&W G3's were made in the OS9 days. OS9 would not boot from a CD drive that didn't have an Apple ROM. OSX supports almost all CD drives for normal operation, but that may not include booting on your machine. Your MDD may have boot support for non-Apple CD drives in the computer ROM/Firmware, whereas the B&W may not. Is your B&W firmware up to date?
And then again, I might be right out to lunch on this.
You're probably right. I had a lot of trouble installing OS X 10.0 on my beige G3. It just wouldn't boot from the CD. The problem turned out to be the replacement generic CD-ROM drive that had worked fine with OS 9 and the OS X Public Beta. I went out and found an OEM Apple drive, and it was 100% OK.

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I searched around and found a firmware updater and a CD updater for the G3, now I just have to find some time to put OS 9 onto it so I can try out the updaters. If that doesn't solve the problem (or if the updaters won't run / aren't needed) then I'll start looking around for an OEM apple CD drive.

-Stephanie

·
Registered
97 Posts
some notes
having gone thru some total bullshit to get this to work just now..

if your cpu jumpers are overclocked reset them
remove ALL PCI cards
if you have a souped up graphics card (radeon 7000,9200) remove it + replace with rage 128 gl original card the b&w g3 came with
check the jumper on your cd/dvd and make sure its set to master (usually the jumper closest to the ide connection) and ensure its connected to the outer most ide connection if the ribbon cable has 2 connections
do cmd-option-p-r THREE TIMES IN A ROW
then immediatey do cmd-option-o-f to get into openfirmware
type "nvram-reset" then "reset-all"
immediately hold c and your b&w g3 should boot up with the cd:clap::clap::clap:

i think that somehow something gets screwd by restting the mac with the reset button over and over then the mac starts to produce these "load-size too small"
and other random cd/dvd errors

ive just finally got os8.6 installed after trying to get it to boot frm the cd all day
i thought i had the wrong cd version but no, my 8.6 is indeed the powermac g3 version appropriate for my g3 450mhz :clap::clap::clap:

beware the mac gremlins beejacon beejacon
:heybaby:
aww yea baby how u like that 9 year thread bump?
IT FEELS GOOD
2014 powerpc represent
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1834.msg8922#new

1 - 5 of 5 Posts