Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my questions may be stupid...but I'm curious...why don't the powermacs and powerbooks come with apple works and encarta?

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Because they figure if you can afford a Powerbook or a PowerMac, you can afford Office and an Oracle database instead of Encarta. ;)

Seriously...Imacs, eMacs are consumer products and come bundled with consumer software, PowerMacs and PowerBooks are considered "Professional" products and hence come with no bundled software.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just to add to kps' comments...

The PowerMacs and PowerBooks do of course come with all the signature iApps that Apple is becoming famous for (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto...) plus a small handful of others you don't get with the consumer grade i/eMacs or iBooks such as Omnigraffle and Omnioutliner.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
... and what is really annoying is that the iMac apps aren't transportable to the PB. So I have both and can't use the encyclopaedia on the PB for example. I would also like to use iDVD on the iMac even if I can't burn (DVD reader only), simply to use the bigger screen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Moscool,

I've moved all sorts of Apps that came with my iMac to my PowerBook (Appleworks, Quicken, various games, ...) and vice versa, never had a problem. I think iDVD is "special" in that it won't install on a Mac without an internal DVD-R drive, but what's up with the encyclopiedia (World Book)?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
As you probably know world book is delivered on iMacs as a packaged file from the system disk (DVD).

I have used a dedicated utility to install the package on my PB. Somehow the utility sees the pacjkage but doesn't seem to be able to install it properly. I have a world book forlder but it is not operational. As you probably also know, the CD supplie3d with iMacs regarding World Book is only the media CD, not the programme.

Any step by step instruction on how to install world book on my PB most welcome!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Moscool,

Interesting...I didn't know most of that stuff about World Book. I've never actually used it until reading your post above; decided to start poking around. I'll let you know if I try to move it to my PowerBook and how that goes.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts