Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought more ram for the firt time for my pbg4, yet no matter what ram i put in, I doesnt show in the upper slot. I checked on apple.ca and they do have a recal but it doesnt seem my mac is eligable. Does this mean i could be paying for something that have have been busted since purchase?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If the RAM in the lower slot functions fine, but doesn't function in the upper slot, your logic board is defective. Unfortunately, out of warranty, a logic board replacement is close to the price of a new MacBook. If I were you, I'd shove a 1GB DIMM into the lower slot and forget about the rest.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
I just bought more ram for the firt time for my pbg4, yet no matter what ram i put in, I doesnt show in the upper slot. I checked on apple.ca and they do have a recal but it doesnt seem my mac is eligable. Does this mean i could be paying for something that have have been busted since purchase?
If there is a recall, or even if not, it's worth the time to phone Apple and see what they'll do. There have been reports that Apple fixes some computers past warranty and out of recall eligibility. It's worth finding out.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The recall is because of disfunctional lower RAM slots. Not sure why they have the narrow recall numbers because the exact same problem has affected many PowerBooks that aren't in the range (my PowerBook's lower slot recently failed. Applecare is over so I'm just going to stick a 1 gig in the upper slot).

Because you claim an upper slot failure and this is the first time you are adding RAM to your PowerBook, I bet you are not pushing it in all the way. The RAM will go in, and you can close the cover, but that does not mean it's in all the way. Really push it in and it will should go deeper with a satisfying click.

·
Registered
744 Posts
... if you really believe it's a failure, run a hardware test. Insert your Install Disk and restart while holding down 'c' (unless you have a 17", then I think it's option). If there is something wrong with the slot, the hardware test should show it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The recall is because of disfunctional lower RAM slots. Not sure why they have the narrow recall numbers because the exact same problem has affected many PowerBooks that aren't in the range (my PowerBook's lower slot recently failed. Applecare is over so I'm just going to stick a 1 gig in the upper slot).

Because you claim an upper slot failure and this is the first time you are adding RAM to your PowerBook, I bet you are not pushing it in all the way. The RAM will go in, and you can close the cover, but that does not mean it's in all the way. Really push it in and it will should go deeper with a satisfying click.
I dont havbe the cd rigght now so i cant check that right now, but yes i tired pusshing it in all the way but still does not work.

Edit: i just found a osx cd my friend lent me but all it shows is for an opyion to intall the os

·
Registered
744 Posts
I dont havbe the cd rigght now so i cant check that right now, but yes i tired pusshing it in all the way but still does not work.

Edit: i just found a osx cd my friend lent me but all it shows is for an opyion to intall the os
Unless they have the same PowerBook it probably won't work. The CD says PowerBook G4 Mac OS X Install Disc 1.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called apple support they said no its not covered uner recall warenty becuase they are covered from powerbooks made up to april 2005 and mine is June 2005. he said I should take it in anyways becuase due to the cercimstances, he can request approval to be covered. So im going to check that out. Goiung to U.s for a week so il have to do it there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts