Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a site that has a firmware patch for speeding up Superdrives in 12, 15 and 17" powerbooks. It enables faster CD (from 8 to 16X) and DVD-R (1 to 2X) and burning to DVD-RW in 12 and 15" powerbooks and doubles the DVD-R speed in 17" powerbooks (which already burn CDs at 16X and can burn to DVD-RW). There's also a downgrader patch. Note, this IS potentially dangerous in that it could void your warranty and worse. There's a discussion board about success stories (no failures). If you have a 17" machine, there is not much point to it, but it does have the potential to improve performance on 12 and 15" machines. The background to this is that the same drive is apparently used in 12"/15" and 17" powerbooks, but the latter is faster and burns DVD-RW discs. There is a theory that Apple crippled the drive due to heat concerns (!).

***** I have not installed the firmware and don't recommend it (for example, future OS versions or patches may not work with it). However, others might find it compelling, especially if you like to live on the edge and have already overclocked your powerbook to 1.2 GHz....

·
Registered
507 Posts
I applied the patch my 12" AlPB w/Superdrive. Everything AOK so far...

N.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neil, you've just confirmed my suspicions. You are a total techno-maniac!! The New York guy who put the firmware patch together (based on the OEM release) seems to be pretty conscientious (in providing a revert patch). You two must have been separated at birth.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
C'mon!! 2x DVD-R burning, how can you resist that? It's calling you, you know it is ...

Just post some benchmarks from DVD burns pre- and post-upgrade when you succumb 'K?

Btw there are threads running in the Apple Discussions and on XLR8 (and here) that have revealed no problems with the upgrade so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts