Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of getting a 12" powerbook but it's hella expensive to get the max amount of ram...would it be cheaper to put in more ram myself? is used ram a good idea? and if so where can i get it?

another thing...could someone explain what exactly airport extreme does? what's the benefits of me getting it? i read the write up on apple.ca, but it still isn't clear to me

btw...my imac is sold

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You can get the ram installed, or do it yourself. The latter is the better for me - a little less taxing on pocket and you also get a little closer to your unit. No?? Used ram? how about a used intravenous needle? might do the job - but beware! Would advise strongly against it - ram is way to cheap to consider it.

AP Xtreme?? aka 802.11g. 802.11 specifies an over-the-air interface between a wireless client and a base station or between two wireless clients. 802.11b is the older standard (11 Mbps rate), but the newer 802.11g will get you 54Mbps on paper - but is less than that in actual. Anyhow, for the use of internal cards on the 12" PB (or even the new iBook G4), you are forced to use the AP Xtrm. No real benefits if you ask me. 802.11b (or regular AP) can still get you hella quick rates.

H!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Andy,

The Apple Store has always seemed to charge ridiculous prices for RAM. I'd suggest buying _new_ RAM from a local reseller.

Regarding Airport Extreme, it's essentially a faster version of Airport (based on the new 802.11g standard). Personally, I don't see any benefit unless you utilize a local area network (transferring files to/from other machines, etc). Otherwise, if you have a machine connecting to the internet with Airport Extreme, there won't be a noticable speed between Airport & Airport Extreme, since your internet bandwidth is already capped by your ISP.

Also, in order to take advantage of Airport Extreme, you must have an appropriate wireless router which supports 802.11g.

Hope this helps.
Darren

·
Registered
630 Posts
Install extra RAM yourself - it's very simple. I just bought a 512 stick for $235.00 - increasing my PowerBook to 1GB. However, make sure you order your powerbook with the RAM installed in one slot (i.e. 1 DIMM) - e.g. 512MB of RAM usually comes as two 256 MB sticks of RAM (b/c it's cheaper for Apple), but if you want to upgrade to say 1 GB, you have to remove both sticks (sell them???) and then replace them with 2 X 512 sticks. There is an option, when ordering your PB to have all the system RAM installed on one SODIMM rather than two, more expensive yes, but much cheaper when you upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts