Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy one of the new, improved 12" Powerbooks and I would like to recreate the same type of portable/home system I had with my old Powerbook 520: External keyboard, monitor and hard drive for home use. The beauty of the old setup was that you could leave the lid of the Powerbook closed when using the external hardware, thereby reducing dust accumulation and other wear and tear on the built-in keyboard. Does anyone know whether this is possible with the new machines?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Normally when you close the lid, the PB will go to sleep, and on VersionTracker there are a few applications that will stop a laptop from sleeping. I know I've helped answer a similar question. In the same thread (I'll find it and post where it was) it was also mentioned that this isn't the smartest idea because the Powerbooks let heat dissapate through the keyboard also. That could cause problems if the computer can't disappate heat properly.

Found it

iTunes with PB display closed

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chealion,
Thanks for the thread, although it seems to leave the heat issue hanging a bit. I used our old Powerbook 520 with the case closed for nearly four years with nary a problem. If I read the thread correctly, what ever problem there might have been ended with the G3s. Anyway, thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts