Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if cats have read/heard about this yet, but just about the time that I was looking to upgrade the HD in my unit, IBM throws this at me. Whoa... a 7200 rpm HD for the lap? I just got back from a retailer, and the sales guy told me to wait til the new year. Regardless, I'm thinking heat dissipation issues and serious batt drainage. Outside of that, could be fun. Looking for competing units from Toshiba and others hopefully... IBM likes to drain pockets. Oh yeah, the 80G unit? @ 9.5 mm? That's serious too. Scared to ask price though.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Having a 7200-RPM hard drive in a laptop is scary. You might as well cook your dinner on there while you're at it. ;) Sounds fun and it's fast, but the heat.... and I thought my 4200-RPM hard drive in my Powerbook was hot!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a 7200 rpm HD in my IBM desktop and had to put two fans in front of it to keep it "warm"! :eek:

My 4200 in my powerbook stays nice and cool with the external fan that I rigged up, it also keeps the processor cool also. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cooking dinner. LOL. Tell me about. I need to see what happens when they push these units out. Wonder if they'll sell them with complimentary pot holders.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I have a 20 GB LaCie Pocket drive. T'would be very cool to have a larger external portable drive with 7200 RPM. Mine is 4200 and still nice. I think they currently make 5200 RPM portable drives too.

Man, those 200 GB drives from LaCie at 7200 RPM. I remember a few years back when I worked as an Apple service tech feeling SOOOOOOO lucky to have a 2GB Apple drive. Man, you could like store the world on that thing. :D

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Besides the heat issue, there would also be a hit to battery life if you dropped that sucker into a laptop. Apple even stuck with 4200 RPM Drives in the new PowerBook because they like to keep the battery life up at 5 hours. Or so they say.

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
yes, rated battery life is longer than real world battery life. The TiBook currently has a 5 hours rated battery life, and depending on useage I have heard of getting anywhere from 2.5 to 4.25 hours of real world useage out of it.

My iBook has a 6 Hour battery and I can relibly get an average of about 3.75 hours out of it.

Add a 5400 RPM drive into the mix and all the numbers take a dive.

--PB

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I once watched a two-hour DVD movie on my Pismo on the flight to Cuba. Then I played for a while with some photoshop stuff I was working on. (Photos of my previous trip I had stored for my girlfriend)

After clearing customs and arriving at my hotel, I found that the power was off for the whole city (not an unusual situation in Cuba...trust me) Since I had already swapped the spare battery into the drive bay (Pismo's are "hot-swappable") I continued to work on the photoshop stuff in my darkened hotel room.

During this time I must have fallen asleep (jetlag, plus a good shot of very old Cuban Rum no doubt contributed to my passing out ). I woke up at daybreak and found that the Pismo had gone to sleep. As soon as I touched the mouse, it woke up and...guess what? I still had some battery power left!! I went ahead and finished what I was doing in Photoshop before I decided to plug it in and charge the batteries. There was still some power left at this point!!

Try doing THAT with a TiBook! :eek: :cool:

Pismos ROCK! :cool: :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Watch an entire DVD, check.
Photoshop, check (and could get it done faster too).

Run the battery down, and turn it off before "deplaning" (which is the dumbest word in the english language).

Get to hotel, oh look the powers out. Plug in the second battery.

Continue working on photoshop into the night. check.
Fall asleep, TiBook goes to sleep. check.
Wake up and wake the TiBook up too (to find the battery has only gone down by a small amount). check.

Not to mention that everything happens a lot faster on a Pismo, so you'd probably get more done. Oh and it wieghs less and has a bigger, higher resolution screen.

Pismo's are great, but so are TiBooks.

Personally, I like em both.

--PB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts